Thread: Cannot stop worrying and wondering if I had a heart attack or not.

Cannot stop worrying and wondering if I had a heart attack or not.

Hi to all,

My anxiety has been thru the roof lately over an experience I had on Friday and cannot stop worrying over.

I was sitting there on my computer when I started to feel an intense burning pain between my breasts in the center. This pain then radiated to the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. It was very uncomfortable and I started to sweat while this happened. I instantly panicked and told my mom I am so scared I'm having a heart attack. It almost felt like I had trapped air like after I had my gallbladder surgery. She told me to relax and asked me to describe my symptoms. I told her and she said it sounded like acid building up in my system due to the fact I hardly had anything to eat most of the afternoon.

So, I sat down with her and she gave me a glass of milk. After about 2-3 minutes or so, this pain subsided and this subsided before she gave me the glass of milk. I felt alright after and was able to eat dinner that night normally.

I'm so scared though and can't stop worrying over if it was acid reflux or something more serious. It doesn't help matters either that I googled heart attack symptoms and it sounded like my symptoms matched up with what I experienced. So, I have been panicking even more the past couple of days because of doing this.

I keep bringing the experience up to my mom and she keeps reminding me that I'm 23 years old and that it would be extremely rare for me to have a heart attack at this age. I also walked a very long distance today when I went on a walk with my friends and family. If I had a heart attack, you would think I wouldn't have been able to do that without getting quite ill.

Anyways, I keep reassuring myself of these things, but I can't stop worrying. I am scared to go to the doctor's again too because I am afraid of sounding absolutely ridiculous and I also don't want to have a bunch of tests due such as blood tests only to find out that everything is fine.

Does this sound like a heart attack though or just acid reflux?

Re: Cannot stop worrying and wondering if I had a heart attack or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rachlexis13 View Post
    Hi to all,

My anxiety has been thru the roof lately over an experience I had on Friday and cannot stop worrying over.

I was sitting there on my computer when I started to feel an intense burning pain between my breasts in the center. This pain then radiated to the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. It was very uncomfortable and I started to sweat while this happened. I instantly panicked and told my mom I am so scared I'm having a heart attack. It almost felt like I had trapped air like after I had my gallbladder surgery. She told me to relax and asked me to describe my symptoms. I told her and she said it sounded like acid building up in my system due to the fact I hardly had anything to eat most of the afternoon.

So, I sat down with her and she gave me a glass of milk. After about 2-3 minutes or so, this pain subsided and this subsided before she gave me the glass of milk. I felt alright after and was able to eat dinner that night normally.

I'm so scared though and can't stop worrying over if it was acid reflux or something more serious. It doesn't help matters either that I googled heart attack symptoms and it sounded like my symptoms matched up with what I experienced. So, I have been panicking even more the past couple of days because of doing this.

I keep bringing the experience up to my mom and she keeps reminding me that I'm 23 years old and that it would be extremely rare for me to have a heart attack at this age. I also walked a very long distance today when I went on a walk with my friends and family. If I had a heart attack, you would think I wouldn't have been able to do that without getting quite ill.

Anyways, I keep reassuring myself of these things, but I can't stop worrying. I am scared to go to the doctor's again too because I am afraid of sounding absolutely ridiculous and I also don't want to have a bunch of tests due such as blood tests only to find out that everything is fine.

Does this sound like a heart attack though or just acid reflux?
    I get these symptoms often and I don't think I've ever had a heart attack. I think you're completely fine.

You did not have a heart attack.

Never google symptoms. It's a complete waste of time.

I get very bad heartburn from time to time and and it sometimes goes beyond a burning in the chest. Sometimes I get bad pains up the side of my body that go through to my back, and all round the upper body and it's very very uncomfortable!

You're fine, if you'd had a heart attack I'm pretty sure you would have known about it by now and you probably wouldn't be here asking about it.

And yes Google is evil don't ever do it

If it was a heart attack it would gradually (or suddenly) get worse, the symptoms wouldn't ease off after a glass of milk, or if they did then they'd come back again. You'd feel very unwell and keep feeling worse. I'm assuming you're female here - women do experience heart attacks differently to men sometimes, but the severity of symptoms can be the same.

That pain you describe is very familiar, I get bad heartburn too and yes a glass of milk does the job I also occasionally worry I'm having/had a heart attack due to it being in my family history, but I tell myself that the symptoms would continue getting worse and not just disappear. I genuinely don't think you'd be able to do that walk either. Plus you have age on your side massively!! Try not to worry hun

Thread Information