Thread: Can I demand a change of meds?

Question Can I demand a change of meds?

I need to go back on anti-depressants. I'm refusing to go out more and more, panicking about my weight, health, dentist appointments I've been having recently. I need something to help. I'm too poor for therapy. I doubt my doctor would consider putting me on the NHS waiting list.

I was on citalopram and cipralex and nothing happened. Citalopram made me sick for a month and cipralex did nothing. If I go back for more meds, they'll just put me back on those.

Can I demand that I try something else, a different family of anti-depressants, or something?

I've got a job starting in September, so if I'm to go back on meds, now would be the best time, so I wont be feeling any kind of side-effect while trying to work...

Any advice?
    xo

Re: Can I demand a change of meds?

Hiya LS,
    Over the years I have found that when you are at your lowest it is then that you have to be the most firm with your gp/psych, or it feels that way anyway.

No you don't have to go back on the two meds you mentioned if you don't want to, it is your life and your body. It does sound like you have an unhelpful GP, I live in Ireland so don't don't the system in the Uk but could you register with a new GP, preferably one you have heard good feedback about? Don't stay with a doctor who is not working with you.

There are literally dozens and dozens of anti depressants on the market and if you have only been on two then that is but a drop in the ocean. Whichever doctor you end up going to, be firm and say you want to try a new anti depressant. I find the 'broken record' technique the best if the doctor is being resistant, just keep saying 'I am not taking X again as it does not work for me' - most doctors cave in really quickly when the realise you are not a doormat.

Spend some time reseraching the best anti depressant for anxiety on the net and have a few ideas of your own when you go to the doctor. Also a beta blocker or a mild atypical anti psychotic might help you depending on your symptoms. Take someone with you for moral support if you have someone you can trust. I take my sister with me as doctors tend to be more compliant when you have someone with you to back you up and witness how the doctor is treating you.

Good luck and do remember the medical service is there for YOU.

Ellen

I agree with what Ellen has said.
    I have been on citalopram for a year. I am going to ask for it to be changed as I have always been convinced that it hasn't helped me much, yet previously I was on prozac and it did wonders for me.
    Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hi there.

You say "I doubt my doctor would consider putting me on the NHS waiting list."

He has a duty of care to you and if getting some help such as CBT will help you then he HAS to put you forward for it. Have you discussed this with him at all?

As for meds - everyone is different. What works for one person doesn't work for another and there are loads you can try but you may have to give each one several months for any real effect. There is no point taking it for 2 weeks and saying it doesn't work, for example.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Question Re: Can I demand a change of meds?

I'll make an appointment tomorrow and ask for something new. Citalopram/Cipralex just didn't feel right for me. Seems that the doctor I saw just wanted to chuck some pills down my throat and send me out.

I was never offered any kind of CBT or therapy on the NHS. I had one appointment, initial assement or something, with an NHS therapist. But was refered to a place called the Wimbledon Guild. I called them, hoping for the best, only to find out they were a private charity, and I'd have to pay. Being 20 and at the time unemployed, I couldn't pay. Now I've got a job that barely pays and I still can't afford it.

I'll be firm with my doctor. I'm convinced that it's the male doctors that well... screw me over a bit. So I'll make sure it's a female doctor, they seem to listen to me. Male doctors look at me, an obviously middle class little girl and assume I'm making it all up. One phrase always springs to mind "Not Depressed Enough..."

Thanks for your advice
    I need to find the pill for me. Not an anti-depressant. But something for my nerves, my painful worries and panic attacks. Can anyone name a couple I could look up for anxiety??

Cheers
    xo

You say want something for anxiety and not an anti depression, Well anxiety, Phobias and Deression are all linked and are treated the same wayIf you dont want anti Depressants then there is only trax left Like Vallium (Diazapam) and Atavan, But doctors never priscribe these for long as they are very adictive and can make you very tired. I am on cipralex but where taking them nearly 12 weeks before i started feeling and change. There are lots of different antidepresants but Like Nicola said they take months to get into the system and start working fully, so you have to wait. Take care and hope they help you next time. Vernon

Thread Information