Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctors making things worse...

Going in for a colonoscopy - seriously worried..

So, been having abdominal pain for a few months now (been dealing with lots of other health anxiety, on the back of my divorce finalizing at the start of the year), which has migrated to being on the right side (though the whole belly can be tender if pressed).

Like so many others, i have made the mistake of googling.. and just am terrified the doctor tomorrow will find colon cancer. We have no family history of it, and my only obvious symptom has been pain (i have been losing weight, but that was a concentrated effort to eat less and better, as well as walking more, stairs, etc...). My bathroom habits haven't been horribly changed, but they have gone back and forth at times.

But it is so hard right now, despite everything, to not fear cancer. I have pain.. it can be localized. No matter how much i read on IBS boards and such, how other people have the same.. i worry that mine is different. And then i find the rare case where people say they are also 34 and had stage 4 CC.... and i just lose it. I am so afraid of leaving my daughter behind (her mother is mostly out of her life now.. which is sad, as she is only 4). I just have no idea how to handle this stress.

I have started therapy (next session is this week ironically), but in the back of my mind. it says why bother.. i will be dead soon, which just depresses the hell out of me more..

Re: Going in for a colonoscopy - seriously worried..

Don't jump straight on the cancer route. It could be nothing or IBS, Crohn's, Colitis, Diverticular.

You will find out soon enough for sure but be positive.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Don't jump straight on the cancer route. It could be nothing or IBS, Crohn's, Colitis, Diverticular.

You will find out soon enough for sure but be positive.
    I know that is the logical though - at my age, its not the first thought. And since i dont have most other symptoms, it really isn't the first thought. BUt my HA (or as the therapist said, somatic symptom disorder) works. Because pain and be a symptom, my anxiety assumes it is.
    It also doesn't help that I saw the doc Thursday, and was scheduled for Monday. Though, it was the scheduler, and I just said gimme the first available.. and low and behold.. heh

Mind you, i worry about things even after they are proven ok (or not as bad, like my heart). But yeah.....
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 18-06-18 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I know that is the logical though - at my age, its not the first thought. And since i dont have most other symptoms, it really isn't the first thought. BUt my HA (or as the therapist said, somatic symptom disorder) works. Because pain and be a symptom, my anxiety assumes it is.
    It also doesn't help that I saw the doc Thursday, and was scheduled for Monday. Though, it was the scheduler, and I just said gimme the first available.. and low and behold.. heh

Mind you, i worry about things even after they are proven ok (or not as bad, like my heart). But yeah.....

Ahhhh, stomach pain and fears of colon cancer - these were the two symptoms I first experienced when I began my journey with hypochondriasis (health anxiety) three years ago.

Like you, my fears were the result of having stomach aches, followed by changing bowel movements and eventually hemorrhoids that led to visible blood in my stool (far too much information, I know!) At first, colon cancer was the obvious suspect for my highly anxious brain. This led to a stool sample and eventually a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was a piece of cake - they knocked me out and it was over before I thought it even began! They didn’t find anything to my surprise except yes, hemorrhoids. The stomach pain continued and a year later, I went back. I insisted this time on them checking both my colon and my stomach - I asked them to check for colon cancer again, as well as take biopsies for colitis and celiac disease. Guess what? All negative. By this point, I was convinced that I had celiac disease because I kept having the stomach aches as well as these itchy as hell rashes on my elbows. So, I went through allergen testing both with skin pricks, and antibody blood testing, as well as a biopsy of my rashes and guess what? All negative. I did find out that I was allergic to dairy as a side note.

Also, the great thing about colonoscopies is that once you start having them, they typically put you on a schedule to have them once every 5-10 years which actually not only reduces but prevents your risk of colon cancer. The reason for this is that polyps, which are quite common in most adults, need to be removed because there is a chance they may become cancerous. But colon cancer literally takes decades to develop, like 20-30 years in most cases.

So.... fear not. You likely don’t have anything terrible happening to you and you are actually taking a preventative step that will ensure nothing crazy happens to you in the future.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprecaite the wishes.

If i am honest, this all started with my anxiety at the start of the year, with my ex-wife moving out, starting my cpap therapy, which started my heart worry... i know i was feeling pretty much ok in the Gi regards before that. Unfortunately, my mind says that all must be coincidence, and this is different. And since i have pain in one spot more than others, it trips me up that it HAS to be sinister... even though i read IBS can do this still...

Anyway, second round of liquid plastic starts now.. god this sucks...

Good luck!
    You’ll get some answers today, so as much as it’s a horrible experience, it’s one that you can start moving on from.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Good luck!
    You’ll get some answers today, so as much as it’s a horrible experience, it’s one that you can start moving on from.

Problem is.. its some of those answers that scares the crap out of me......

Going in for a colonoscopy - seriously worried..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Problem is.. its some of those answers that scares the crap out of me......

And that’s why we’re here. I just had those same fears having an endoscopy and now it’s done I can start to formulate a plan with my gp to move forward.

Edit to add: I also have a 4 year old. I know what you’re feeling on that scale too.

Thanks again for the support. You are right of course.. I certainly wouldn't be here without my unrelenting worry. I just hope beyond hope that it's only my worry causing issues, and nothing more

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Hey guys.. well, that was.. ugh.. fun..

The prep was brutal.. damn liquid plastic to drink. But I did it ok, and all was coming out clear before the procedure. I got there ok, and the nursing staff were very nice. Then the anesthesia doc came by....

He started looking at things, and noted what they wrote in my chart. Somebody noted on my chart that I had congestive heart failure, which sent my bp skyrocketing. The doctor looked at my hospital results again, and said that call was wrong. I only had mild LVH and grade 1 diastolic disfunction (seems to be normal with LVH), but nothing at all saying heart failure. But eff me if that didn't freak me out. I wanted to punch two cardiologist before that as neither said anything about failure.. Thankfully, he was very kind, and went over all the results, and reassured me things were good, especially since I had no other symptoms.

Anyway.. they gave me something for the anxiety and then I was out. So.. the real news....

Nadda.

Not a damn thing. No polyps, no ulcers, or diverticulitis. I do have hemmoroid, which explains the bleeding I had before. But I also have too many pictures now which show very clean guts...

Looks like it's likely all stress and IBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information