Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high ferritin , low RBC, elevated platelets kinda nervous!

high ferritin , low RBC, elevated platelets kinda nervous!

Monday I had a CBC, B12, Vitamin D and ferritin checked as a follow up from January because my platelets were high and my hemaglobin was low. Dr. suspected iron deficiency so did the additional labs. Today, I called to see if my results were in, the nurse said I needed to come in for lab review because my ferritin was high, RBC was low and I believe my platelets are still high. I've never heard of iron being high, I'm really surprised because I've never taken iron supplements and I'm not a big red meat eater. Right now, I take vitamin D and B12 because both of those were low before but are now in range. Trying not to panic here but yes I googled because I wanted to know what it could mean and all this scary stuff came up like lymphoma, so I shut it down. Now I have to wait in this fear until I can see my Dr. anyone have experience?

Re: high ferritin , low RBC, elevated platelets kinda nervous!

Something that I learned from my HA experience....the more you go looking for problems, the more you’re likely to find, even/especially false positives. I went through a multi month phase of that last year....talk my doctor into reassurance testing, have something picked up, panic, follow up test, fine...rinse and repeat multiple times. I finally decided it wasn’t worth it. I started trusting my doctor’s initial diagnoses and interpretation of test results. It’s the best thing I ever did. All that anxiety of bouncing from test to test and waiting for results is gone, and I can enjoy each day.

I have high ferritin levels (well the 'normal' level is below 300 and mine is at 340). The 2 doctors I saw about it didn't give a single damn. When I questioned the 2nd doctor about it he said I could donate blood, cut down on red meat, alcahol and oyster consumption to lower it but said "it's definitely better being on the slightly highish side than low" whilst laughing so I figured it wasn't that big a deal.

My Dad has a rare blood type, he also has something like this that produces basically "to much blood". But unlike your readings his was off the chart. The doctor just told him to give blood every six months, which of course the blood bank are happy with his blood type!

Thank you for your replies! It helps calm my nerves while I wait for my appointment on Monday.

Kingdawson: I'm not sure of my numbers, exactly, but hopefully nothing crazy. Do you have the inherited kind or secondary? I don't know of anyone in my family that has this. The secondary worries me because one of the causes was the big C. Or liver disease. Ugh! Do you have to get retested ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Thank you for your replies! It helps calm my nerves while I wait for my appointment on Monday.

Kingdawson: I'm not sure of my numbers, exactly, but hopefully nothing crazy. Do you have the inherited kind or secondary? I don't know of anyone in my family that has this. The secondary worries me because one of the causes was the big C. Or liver disease. Ugh! Do you have to get retested ever?
    Leslie you really don't need to worry one bit. I don't need to get retested....in fact the doc didn't even say anything about it until I pointed it out. It's not inherited or secondary...its just on the highish side which will go down with blood donations etc. No biggie.

I will echo my first reply to this thread......”abnormalities” are actually very normal. But, unlike HA sufferers, most people don’t pursue rigorous amounts of testing to have them discovered or followed up on....they just live with it.

If your doctor was really concerned, they wouldn’t have had you wait 6 months before any sort of retest. You need to break the cycle....stop actively looking for things that are wrong (lymph nodes, etc) and treat the anxiety that you know you have.
    Last edited by AMomentofClarity; 28-06-18 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    I will echo my first reply to this thread......”abnormalities” are actually very normal. But, unlike HA sufferers most people don’t pursue rigorous amounts of testing to have them discovered or followed up on....they just live with it.

If your doctor was really concerned, they wouldn’t have had you wait 6 months before any sort of retest. You need to break the cycle....stop actively looking for things that are wrong (lynph nodes, etc) and treat the anxiety that you know you have.
    I think you misunderstood, this was just discovered on Monday. The repeat Labs were because of high platelets. The high iron was JUST discovered, never been tested before and my Dr DOES want me to come back in which I am on Monday. This isn't something I brought up to her because of my anxiety I was just following my Dr advice, I wasn't even concerned going into it really, the iron test. I appreciate your reply though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    I think you misunderstood, this was just discovered on Monday. The repeat Labs were because of high platelets. The high iron was JUST discovered, never been tested before and my Dr DOES want me to come back in which I am on Monday. This isn't something I brought up to her because of my anxiety I was just following my Dr advice, I wasn't even concerned going into it really, the iron test. I appreciate your reply though.
    You’re right, my mistake, I thought everything was originally discovered in January and you were re-testing now. The fact still remains that unless your figures are off the charts, it’s unlikely to be anything serious. Repeated doctor visits and tests of any kind (samples, imaging, etc) always have the potential to lead down a rabbit hole of additional tests, follow ups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    Leslie you really don't need to worry one bit. I don't need to get retested....in fact the doc didn't even say anything about it until I pointed it out. It's not inherited or secondary...its just on the highish side which will go down with blood donations etc. No biggie.
    Thank you, I appreciate it! I use to donate years ago.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    You’re right, my mistake, I thought everything was originally discovered in January and you were re-testing now. The fact still remains that unless your figures are off the charts, it’s unlikely to be anything serious. Repeated doctor visits and tests of any kind (samples, imaging, etc) always have the potential to lead down a rabbit hole of additional tests, follow ups, etc.
    I definitely agree with that and that is my fear. I've been working on my anxiety by doing CBT and diet changes, I dont want my progress going down the toilet because of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information