Thread: Worried: Run out of Lorazepam in a few days.

Worried: Run out of Lorazepam in a few days.

I have been on Venlafaxine (75mg) for about three years but I don't think they are helping much anymore. I had a really awful weekend a fortnight ago and I was prescribed Lorazepam. I am only taking 2mg a day but I run out in a few days and I am really worried that I will return to a state of extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I can't afford not to be able to work.

Doctor is suggesting I move onto Citalopram but the side effects sound horrendous. I don't think I can manage without meds though.

Re: Worried: Run out of Lorazepam in a few days.

Hi,

I gather you have only been on the benzo a night or two. Most doctors, not all, will only prescribe them for brief periods. My suggestion is to talk honestly to your doctor regarding your situation and tell them how you feel and what your concerns are about your anxiety. You might also try CBT or other types of therapy. Going on and off anti-depressants is not fun at all but once you do get used to them I have found them helpful. Good luck and keep us posted.

Laura

I agree with Laura,

Taking benzos work very well in the short term but your body will become accustomed to them over time and will stop working and actually make you worse.

Like Laura said going onto AD's can have unpleasant side effects but in the long run they can help a lot. 75mgs of Venlafaxine is a low dose and there is lots of room to increase it.

I think you need to have a good chat with your doc and talk about all the different options.

Jim

Thank you for your responses.

My doctor has given me more Lorazepam. They will last another month if I take one a day. I have been having persistent headaches for six weeks and my GP cannot find any cause so I am being referred to a neurologist. The doctor is not keen to change my meds until the headaches are sorted. I am about to run out of Venlafaxine now. Should I get more or make do with the Lorazepam? Am I likely to have withdrawal issues if I just stop the Venlafaxine?

I don't want to scare you tootingyellow, but I had to spend a fortnight in hospital comming off Lorazepam. They work well on panic attacks, but you soon find you need to increase the dose to get the same effect. I was on them for five years, and in the end, I was taking four times the maximum dose. I had to have two tablets crushed in water imeadiatly on getting up! They are very good for panic - probibly the best - but use them sparingly.

Best wishes,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom_M; 01-08-07 at 22:57. Reason: Spelling

you will soon have to double the effect to get same effect///this wont happen for many many months ,maybe years.2mg of klonopin still works fine as it did 3 years ago..so its not the same for everyone...ssris dont work for everyone and the side effects are absolute nightmare,your shakes ,headaches,bad nightmares,loss of ejaculation, etc etc is it worth it??i doubt it stick with the benzos as and when u need em no point taking an anti depressant every day just for anxiety.
    good luck
    pedro

I take 1mg of Lorazepam on waking. I have been for a few years now. I know I don't get any benefit from it, that I can see, but I do have to take it or I start to feel the effects of withdrawal. Now that may be psychological or a bit of both. However, I could easily take more than one a day as my GP prescribes them on repeat and like sweets. I will stop it when I'm well again and have nothing seriously bothering me. Then I will swap to a longer lasting benzo and/or reduce by using a liquid formula if possible.

SSRI's for anxiety? An old and bad idea.

Thread Information