Thread: Horrible experience with this med

Horrible experience with this med

I took this for one night. I was sedated and could not stay away for 24 hours the next day. I literally could not drive, I was numb and felt almost paralyzed-- so freaking tired. I only took 7.5MG. I will not be taking this medication again!

Re: Horrible experience with this med

The lower the dose the higher the sedation feeling I have been on 30mg for 2 months but am currently tapering off this med due to weight gain and tiredness

Hi Ronstar666, the weight gain and tiredness is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I feel exhausted on Klonopin and am trying to wean off of that little by little.

I hate the fact that I have put on so much weight in just 2 months I don't mind being able to sleep better but not the weight gain no matter how much I exercise or eat healthy it just doesn't shift

I don't think that taking this drug for one night is a fair take on how, for many, the drug actually helps. I would hate to think that anyone would be put off this drug thinking that you will feel groggy or tired all the time, sure I had a few days of feeling groggy but that soon passed and as far as weight gain goes, well I'm not worried about a few Lb's extra weight if I'm going to feel better which I do.

Considering this time last year I was so depressed because of chronic anxiety and the fact I'm still here today all be it a few lb's heavier is living proof that this drug can help. Your all entitled to your opinions here but after taking Mirt for one night you can't say it's a terrible drug you just didn't give it a go which is your choice.

If mirtazapine is a problem talk to doctor about switching to diazepam which will help to relax you before sleep but won't make you so drowsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    I took this for one night. I was sedated and could not stay away for 24 hours the next day. I literally could not drive, I was numb and felt almost paralyzed-- so freaking tired. I only took 7.5MG. I will not be taking this medication again!
    Hi Ethansmom,

I think we have spoke a few times . You need to be persistent with at least one med to try and deal with your demons. You are on klonopin and want to wean off it - I can tell you that mirtazapine helps in benzo withdrawals - it helps with appetite and sleep. Yeah when you first start mirtazapine all you want to do is eat and sleep but that’s due to the 5htp2a receptor being blocked and the histamine being blocked. It is a light antidepressant compared to SSRI’s and SNRi’s - at some point your going to need to ride it with one of these Meds so why not one that helps you sleep and helps with benzo withdrawl. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Maca44 View Post
    I don't think that taking this drug for one night is a fair take on how, for many, the drug actually helps. I would hate to think that anyone would be put off this drug thinking that you will feel groggy or tired all the time, sure I had a few days of feeling groggy but that soon passed and as far as weight gain goes, well I'm not worried about a few Lb's extra weight if I'm going to feel better which I do.

Considering this time last year I was so depressed because of chronic anxiety and the fact I'm still here today all be it a few lb's heavier is living proof that this drug can help. Your all entitled to your opinions here but after taking Mirt for one night you can't say it's a terrible drug you just didn't give it a go which is your choice.
    She didn't say it was a terrible drug, only that she had a horrible experience.

I agree about the lack of time but she is very sensitive to side effects and struggles to get on others too. Given the issue with sedation it raises questions over why the low dose was prescribed as it is supposed to work as an antihistamine at this level. It may be to titrate at a slower rate or less impacting rate but that raises the question why her doctor didn't prepare her for the obvious sedation it would cause.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-07-18 at 08:55.

You guys all have valid points. The sedation was horrible! I felt so numb and sleepy all day. The doctor has given me Effexor 25MG to try. Please wish me luck. I just want all this anxiety to go away! Now I am going to sleep trembling. I think it's anxiety (at least that's what I hope it's from). Right now the only thing i'm taking is klonopin which I would love to get off. Nothing is ever easy with these meds... I start Effexor tomorrow. Please wish me luck. I'm scared of increased anxiety.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I didn't get on well with Mirt either due to excessive sedation etc. Ven suited me far better in terms of efficacy and side effects.

So may The Force be with you!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information