Thread: Effexor XR induced Hypertension?

Effexor XR induced Hypertension?

Hi there! About a month ago, after a fresh round of health anxiety cropped up, I started taking Effexor XR, gradually increasing to 150 mg (I reached 150 mg around June 23rd). On June 25th I went to the doctor to get a referral for something and they took my blood pressure which was 170/110. I was instructed to follow up with my doctor, and a week and half later it was the same. The only change in my life since last year, health wise was starting this drug (last year my BP was 110/78).

I was on Effexor for quite awhile in my late teens/early twenties. My mother remembers it raising my blood pressure (I vaguely remember but not specifics).

I went to the doctor to discuss, and he'd never heard of Effexor increasing someone's blood pressure, but agreed I should taper off to see if it comes down. If it does, I'll look at Lexapro (which I was on while pregnant as I couldn't take Effexor while pregnant and was having severe anxiety).

Has anyone ever experienced hypertension as a result of Effexor? I'm curious, as I have found some stuff on Google, but the doctor said it really wasn't the norm.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has ever switched from Effexor XR to Lexapro, specifically when dealing with health anxiety, and what they thought about it. Thanks for any input!

Re: Effexor XR induced Hypertension?

Late reply but Venlafaxine does seem to raise BP in some people taking. I have found several articles relating to this.

Previous Medication:
    Propranalol, Sertraline, Seroxat and Citalopram

Song covers on sound cloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/nathan-daly

Quote Originally Posted by pretoria View Post
    Late reply but Venlafaxine does seem to raise BP in some people taking. I have found several articles relating to this.
    Thank you for the reply!

Just spotted your post so see mine in this thread for future reference:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...p?228099-Tests

I think your GP must be as knowledgeable on antidepressants as mine since Ven raising BP is a well known side effect. My GP isn't checking mine or considering that my Hypertension was diagnosed after being on Duloxetine which is also known to do it and I did ask.

Now I know it does I can bring it up at my yearly Hypertension review.

Thread Information