Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debilitating exhaustion at social events

Re: Debilitating exhaustion at social events

It's good news that your bloods were all fine, Sue, so it may just be a question of "too much, too soon" with your spells of complete exhaustion?

I'm sure your GP will be able to give you his/her opinion on Wednesday. If there's no physical reason then inevitably it may just be your mind/body reacting to a bit of social overload? Good luck for the appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's good news that your bloods were all fine, Sue, so it may just be a question of "too much, too soon" with your spells of complete exhaustion?

I'm sure your GP will be able to give you his/her opinion on Wednesday. If there's no physical reason then inevitably it may just be your mind/body reacting to a bit of social overload? Good luck for the appointment.
    Thanks, Pulisa. I'm STILL dragging, to the point that I'm working from home today, but of course this is depressing me / worrying me since I always need to know exactly what is going on with my body, and why. Yes, a control freak. Wish I could just "accept" that sometimes, people don't feel up to par, but I can't. I need to know WHY I'm feeling what I'm feeling so I can prevent it from happening again.

I'm also depressed about being on yet another drug (Gabapentin) even though it seems to really help. It just adds more confusion to the equation, one more thing that I may need to wean off of in the future, etc. I was hoping that if the Gabapentin worked that I could start weaning off Prozac but doc says there's no reason to try to get off Prozac since it's been in my system for so many years. Might be more trouble than it's worth to get off.

I think it's still a stigma thing for me. If I have to list the medications I'm taking somewhere, I still get embarrassed to list my anxiety meds. At this age you would think I would listen to the docs who tell me it's a chemical imbalance and that I need the medication just as a diabetic needs insulin. And the more meds you take, the more variables as to which to increase, which to decrease, which is causing which symptoms, etc.

Sorry, just feeling fed up and defeated today. Yes, it was a very busy, tough week with very little quality sleep, but still to be so weary two days later?

Thanks for being here, being able to vent helps a little.
    Sue

I don't know about you but I very rarely feel able to slow down and when I do it's a sign that I am in a better place mentally. Maybe you are feeling more relaxed and consequently your body feels it's been given "permission" to wind down? I know you feel the "wind down" has been too "dramatic" but maybe it is a bit of burnout but only because you feel better?

Sorry if this reads like a crap opinion. I'm more in the "agitated depression" bracket and I do get periods of feeling completely wiped out (which frighten me because I have to keep going at all costs)

That was definitely not a crap opinion... I appreciate the down-to-earth comments and the sharing of experiences. And I can totally relate to very rarely being able to slow down, and yes, I have noticed and been aware of feeling wiped out on the days that I "allow" myself to where I have no commitments or obligations. But these two recent crashes were not that.... I really needed to be on my game at these two events but the body (and/or mind) did not cooperate.

Today I'm noticing heightened general anxiety and also the "prickly skin" feeling that I always seem to get when my TSH levels are changing (either up or down). I have no friggin' idea why my levels won't stay consistent but it's really frustrating that I have to go through these physical and mental symptoms when they do.

Ahhh well, yet another thing I need to learn to accept. Thanks for helping me feel less alone in these challenges.
    Sue

Thyroid blood test results often don't match symptoms. Levels can alter according to the time of day the blood was drawn. You could ask for some T4 and T3 blood tests which give a more accurate profile of thyroid functioning.

Yes, perhaps I will have it drawn again in a week or two. I do have a slip that will test both TSH and free T4 but since I had already taken my Synthroid that day it didn't make sense to have the T4 tested. Next week I will hold off on taking the Synthroid, have blood drawn, and then take the tablet.
    Sue

That sounds like a good plan to cover all angles. Does gabapentin affect your thyroid med in any way? I'm sure your doctor would have checked this anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information