Thread: considering mirtazapine

considering mirtazapine

Hi all,
    I've been med free for a bit after not getting along with an SSRI (citalopram) and doctor reckons I should move to the next class-SNRI, being mirt.
    My mood has been really normal which is great as I found citalopram actually made me feel depressed, even after being on a low dose and giving it a chance for 2 months. I don't find I have depression, but I do get down when I feel especially anxious- but on the cit anxiety attacks were minimal but wanted to throw myself out a window so didn't make sense really. I did get the dose increased, but this exacerbated things, unfortunately. Since stopping my moods have been so normal, but unfortunately, anxiety and panic attacks prevail, this time with a vengeance...
    So I would like to try the mirt as I've heard it has good sedative purposes which works for my anxiety it seems (both therapist and dr have idenfitied sedative type drugs work well for me, just half a diazepam will make me feel like my normal self, but as we poor panicky people know we can't take these long term).
    So what I would like help with is, if anybody could share their opinions on whether it's worth trying the mirt. I've heard it's faster acting than most other ADs, so what harm could it be to give it a shot. I'm just worried however after my last experience that it could mess with my mood again, make me depressed/empty/possibly even suicidal. I don't like to talk about it but unfortunately the citalopram did have that effect on me, and I hadn't had thoughts like that for a long time.
    Any thoughts, opinions, guidance and support would be greatly appreciated. Just need something to curb the anxiety really so I can feel like my normal self. Been trying these kalms tablets as an alternative to benzos, but they don't mute the overthinking/judgement that we all know comes with this lovely illness.
    Much love to you all

Re: considering mirtazapine

Hi,

You sound pretty similar to me - I had a rough time with SSRI's, and the anxiety seems to be the main issue rather than depression (though that comes along with it). Anxiety induced insomnia also made everything worse for me to.

I started 15mg of Mirt a little over 3 weeks ago, and have been keeping a diary on here so you can take a look.

My advice would be to give it a go - it seems like the likely side-effects at the start are much more likely to be sedation/grogginess rather than increased anxiety as with SSRI's, so if you can cope with that you will be ok.

I am still in the early stages but, for me, the anxiety has been dialled down a couple of notches and the sleeping is better (but not perfect - I still have the odd rough night now and again). The first week was good for sleep and rest though, as I would fall asleep pretty quickly and stay asleep until the morning.

Be prepared for the first couple of days to be VERY groggy - like taking a night nurse during the day. But do not be put off by this as it goes pretty quickly (at least it did for me, and seems to have for a lot of other people).

But, then again, everyone responds differently to these meds, so my experience is no guarantee. Personally I would say give 15mg a try and you can always come off if it is not working, and at least then you will know.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thread Information