Thread: Alcohol and DP

Alcohol and DP

Hi, I use to post here quite a few years ago and I honestly haven't had any DP/DR in a long time. I really only feel that way when I focus hard on it, but you'll feel anything is focus on it so I figured I'm good. Haven't had anxiety in a long time but I'm a little nervous right now. Some friends are going out for some beers (nothing crazy) and I've been invited out but I'm thinking about turning them down. I'm terrified to drink in case it does bring back anxiety or DP. My anxiety and DP started after I got REALLY high so I'm kinda having some flash backs of those moments lol. Does anyone here drink, if so how does it effect you.

Re: Alcohol and DP

Why not start with one beer and see how you feel and go from there?

You see, that's what everyone tells me but for some reason I'm just fixated on the idea that as soon as the beer goes downthe back of my throat that I'm going to just feel drunk and have some anxiety. I know if your happy and you drink it makes you more happy and if you're sad and you drink it makes you more sad and it's a state of mind but idk It just freaks me out.

I wouldn’t be one to push someone to drink if they’re worried about the effects. But at the same time it’s not healthy to let anxiety control your life and keep you from doing things you want to do. Obviously you know your tolerance better than anyone here, but I wouldn’t expect 1 drink to change your mindset that much.

Well, I don't think I have much of a tolerance since I've never really drank. I know my family is naturally more tolerant to alcohol and I'm a big man, but a little kid when it comes to this haha.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAge View Post
    You see, that's what everyone tells me but for some reason I'm just fixated on the idea that as soon as the beer goes downthe back of my throat that I'm going to just feel drunk and have some anxiety.
    Actually quite the opposite occurs. In my drinking days and even now when I indulge once in a great while, I'm reminded how fond I am of beer. From a malty chocolate/coffee stout to a hoppy enough to make you shudder IPA, I'm a sucker for a good beer! Like I said, I've been there. Now, due to medication, I indulge at most a couple times a month with a good meal.

For many, and not just anxiety sufferers, alcohol is like liquid Xanax. That first sip is just YUM and next thing you know, the glass is empty and you feel nice and relaxed, especially with the higher ABV content in much of the craft brew market. That's where it can get dangerous. One turns into two or three and bam, you're just buzzing along... Hangovers suck but hangovers suck for anxiety sufferers can take them to a whole new level and that's not always a good thing as oft time documented here.

If you have the inner fortitude and willpower, I'd say go have a good time. If you doubt yourself, have a trusted friend help you out.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 15-07-18 at 17:33.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi Brokenage,

Hangovers are not good for DP/DR, so go light. That said I used to have dp and Dr triggered by psychoactive substances and not alcohol. At the end of the day I didn't feel like it made it any better or any worse.

Alex

Thread Information