Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disbility Living Allowance (DLA)

Re: Disbility Living Allowance (DLA)

You are right Gregor, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I was thinking of doing something, but I knew that my little voice on it's own wouldn't change anything. The trouble is that the people who are getting DLA might not want to rock the boat. I have been told by a neighbour to get in touch with the adjudicator at the DSS, I will ring them 2moro to see if they have anything to do with DLA. Trouble is I don't know if I have enough mental or physical strength to carry it through.

Elspeth

Elspeth,

The first time i applied for DLA a few years ago, i got turned down. At the time, i just left it at that figuring that i just didn't qualify. Then, last year, i applied again. I just filled out the form myself and told the truth. I got turned down once more. I then appealed the decision with the help of a trained professional who knows how to fill these forms in and i was successful. It's case of, you need to know what to write in the forms, you need to know how to write certain things in a way which suggests you are disabled enough. The forms they ask you to fill in are designed to be difficult i think - they're certainly not aimed at people like us with anxiety problems!

Hi Gregor

I did have help with filling in the forms from disability advice bearu (sp) for all the good that she done!! She even went to my tribunaral hearing as I couldn't go, who knows what she said! Sometimes I feel like fighting it, other times I feel like giving up!
    Take care
    Elspeth

You are so right, I remember about 22 years ago I had anxiety and agrophobia so bad I could hardly walk from the kitchen to the living room as I was so so full of fear. I got sacked from my job for not turning up and the Doctor wouldnt even give me a sick note for work as he said there was nothing wrong with me. My wife went into hospital to have our third child and I couldnt even go visit her, this made me feel so so horrible as I love my family so much. I had to get a taxi to sign on the dole once every two weeks and it was hell getting from taxi and going in the dole office. At that time they didnt recognise anxietys at all and the help was nil. then my sight went just about fully and thats when I got put on sickness benefit and got middle rate DLA for both parts, but it was nothing to do with the anxiety and I would say the anxieties I had at that time where much more disabling that being blind.
    TC all Vernon

I am agoraphobic and I was awarded the lower rate "to help with getting around" (about £17 a week) as I need to have someome with me when I go out. I was not granted the personal care award as I can look after myself at home. When you fill out the forms, you have to detail your "worst" day. I also live in Wales so I would have thought the process would be the same as for me. I think you should keep trying and get more advice from the CAB.

Good luck

Janice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information