Thread: Scared of endoscopy appointment on Monday

Scared of endoscopy appointment on Monday

I am scheduled for an endoscopy on Monday afternoon and I'm scared! I had a colonoscopy done about 4 years ago, but now I'm just nervous again about being knocked out (which I am not willing to stay awake). I don't believe they will find much because my symptoms are vague and the doctor was reassuring at my consultation. But it's the "being put under" part that scares me.

Re: Scared of endoscopy appointment on Monday

I've been put under more times than I care to recall but I always looked at it this way. It's the really good stuff man! As an old hippie that partied a bit in my day, that stuff is da bomb! Helps you forget the stuff you don't want to remember and makes being awake a much happier place Some of the funniest videos on Youtube are those coming out of anesthesia. After my stents, I was in a recovery room and I kept grabbing my wife's rear and saying "My Tushie"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I had one of these about 6 months ago and was TERRIFIED....turns out that it really is not a big deal - though I know all too well how NOT comforting that is when you’re really worried. For me, the best part was being ‘put under’. I had a massive panic attack complete with hysterical crying and hyperventilation as soon as they sat me on the bed and the anaesthesiologist came and gave me something to calm me, but not put me to sleep, just to make wheeling me into the room easier for me..10 seconds later I was lying on the bed at peace with the world....and what felt like 12 seconds later I sat up and it was over. Maybe tell the doctors about your anxiety and request something similar, it really helps. Good luck

I had one a month ago, I didn’t get sedation and it was fine too. Sedation sounds lovely, I don’t know why I didn’t do it!
    Also, it’s pretty mild so you won’t be asleep for long. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a pretty easy test. I've had 3 (and have a 4th booked in August) and don't mind them except the mouth spray. (Not for ha reasons, I have a stomach disease)

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    It's a pretty easy test. I've had 3 (and have a 4th booked in August) and don't mind them except the mouth spray. (Not for ha reasons, I have a stomach disease)

Why do you need another one, Capercrohnj?

Also, to the OP... I have had 4 and they are really easy. I have had them unsedated and sedated. I had a colonoscopy unsedated...that I wouldn't recommend LOL.

I have had 2 awake just with the spray. I have GERD. Really unpleasant procedures but I got through them ok. Got quite panicky in middle of 2nd one, but nurse rested her hand on my shoulder and it calmed me significantly. The 2nd one was less unpleasant than the 1st. If I had to get another done it wouldn't freak me out too much. I know what to expect.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyg89 View Post
    Why do you need another one, Capercrohnj?

Also, to the OP... I have had 4 and they are really easy. I have had them unsedated and sedated. I had a colonoscopy unsedated...that I wouldn't recommend LOL.
    I'm getting another Botox injection in my pyloric sphincter for gastroparesis which is done via gastroscopy.

Thread Information