Hi Walkingonglass

I can relate to this. Its his way of escaping his problem. I'm similar. My experience of existence is more or less constantly permeated/coloured by a sensation of unease. I find after 3 years of dealing with it my mind is starting to play some new trick now and it seems that I may very easily become addicted to any form of stimulation that takes me away form my uncomfortable internal tension. Keeping your mind busy is one of the ways anxiety sufferers help themselves turn there mind away from the constant grind of anxiety. After a while that seeking of experience can become a habit and if your not careful it can lead to addiction. I have slipped down but then got of some slippery slops, cigarettes, alcohol, buying cars. Keep busy, keep moving, the alternative is to sit inside your little meat shell and enjoy the wonders of a badly tuned nervous system. I currently cycling 10-15 miles a day because for the hour I'm on the bike and the 2-3 hours afterwards I have some relief. Hated cardio before the last 3 years but now its like I cant stop. My mind wants its happy hormone hit and nothing is going to stop it. As he has suffered for 10 years I imagine your other half has developed many idiosyncrasies that reflect his inability to feel at peace so yes I think it is a product and/or driving force of his GAD.