Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a short general anaesthetic tomorrow. Very frightened

Having a short general anaesthetic tomorrow. Very frightened

Hi All,

Please forgive me for the rambling nature of this, I'm just super anxious (hence the rambling) and any words of comfort would be greatly appreciated :-)

Tomorrow, I'm having a short electrocautery treatment to my nose to stop nosebleeds. I've had several in-clinic silver nitrate treatments and none have worked long term, so my doctor thinks this is the next thing to try as it is more effective. The only thing is, it has to be done in hospital under a general anaesthetic. Even though he reassures me it will take "5 minutes" I can't help feeling really frightened, mainly about the actual sensation of going under and the fear of having a panic attack and/or not waking up. I don't like hospitals either!

I have actually had a general anaesthetic before for a much longer operation, but I had a pre-med before it which helped a lot. However, my doctor has said that this time, it wouldn't be worth having a premed because the anaesthetic is so short and I'd end up being in hospital for longer whilst the drowsiness went away.

What is the sensation of going under actually like? What do you feel in your body and is it scary? Is it a horrible head-spinning like fainting?? (I don't even like the feeling of getting super drunk!)

I also just wanted to run one last thing past you, please. Knowing my anxiety about the general anaesthetic, my doctor DID say that I could have local anaesthetic instead, HOWEVER, he said I would have to experience intense heat, the smell and taste of burning tissue and possibly bleeding. He therefore thinks it would be better for my anxiety to be asleep! Would you go for a general anaesthetic if you knew it was only for 5 mins?...

Thanks so much everyone. The alternative is to live with the nosebleeds but they cause me daily anxiety as it is!!

Thank you so much for reading x

Re: Having a short general anaesthetic tomorrow. Very frightened

I’ve had many operations and honestly it doesn’t feel like anything at all! You don’t even notice! Coming from a huge HA sufferer I promise it’s nothing to worry about

Thank you so much for replying, it means a lot :-). And would you choose a short GA over being awake? Thanks so much again x

Well my surgery was ear surgery I definitly had no choice, but GA doesn’t bother me at all I’d probably do that

l never felt anything not a thing be over before you know it honestly you won't feel woozy or anything good luck send you some hugs

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate it. Here's hoping it goes smoothly and I remain as calm as poss. I'm tempted to ask for a small anti-anxiety med (xanax?) but I'll see how I go I suppose.

I went under (required) for tonsillectomy and it was so easy (the anesthesia part) that when I had wisdom teeth pulled a year later I voluntarily chose full anesthesia over a localized thing even though it is such a minor and short procedure.

It's so quick you never even know what happens. The first time I was in the bed fully conscious and the anesthesiologist asked me where I wanted to go for my next vacation as she started administering it, and before I could even reply "Las Vegas" I was completely out. I don't even remember what question they asked me the second time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to conclude this just for anyone reading in the future and who is worried about a GA. I had it yesterday and it all went really well.

Despite being super nervous, I managed to walk independently into the anaesthetic room, lie down, and allowed them to inject me. I'm so proud of myself. I even did it without a premed. I think what helped was the realisation of the superior knowledge and confidence these doctors and nurses have. To them, it's as easy as doing a spreadsheet! I had a few tears as I was lying down but my Anaesthetist said to me that he had anaesthetised three of his own children and also his wife, and there was no way that he would subject them to something dangerous. He also rather touchingly said that he would look after me as if I were his own family. I was scared, but I knew I was safe.

As he injected me, the nurse held my hand and asked me about holidays too! The anaesthetist told me that I would feel tingling up my arm and then feel a little light-headed. I don't remember falling asleep at all, just a bit of a swimmy feeling in my head which was a bit weird but lasted 5 seconds, if that. Like I said, even though I felt unpleasant, I knew I was safe and that made all the difference.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up with a nurse looking after me. I had a bit of a dry sore throat but the nurse gave me a bit of water to rinse with which helped. As soon as I was speaking properly (less than 5 - 10 mins), they checked my BP again and then wheeled me up to my ward again. Within an hour I was up in bed and eating a sandwich and within three hours I was in a taxi home! I find it incredible that in the space of four hours I could go from having all my vital signs monitored, to going home. It just shows how quickly these drugs leave your body and how safe you are.

I'm still feeling groggy and I have a bit of a headache but I'm enjoying the excuse to rest!

Overall, I've come to the conclusion that many things we have to do in adult life are unpleasant and uncomfortable, but if it is temporary and for our greater good, and if we are safe and looked after by experts, then that makes it ok in my book. I would put having a GA in this category. It's an inconvenience but it certainly isn't worth the death-fear which we subject ourselves to! In fact, you could say it is a life-saver.

Have trust in your doctors, they really do know what they are doing and it is all over so quickly!! I went it at 11 am, my surgery was at 1 pm. I promised myself I'd be home to watch Neighbours at 6 pm (ha!) and I was, with a cat on my lap and veggie sausage and mash cooking in the oven. You'll be ok. xx

Well done and thanks for the update.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information