Thread: Low Iron levels

Low Iron levels

Just had a set of routine bloods done and they came back normal except for low iron levels. Now my doctor wants me to do some kind of stool test in case I'm bleeding internally and all I can think of is bowel cancer. I've had blood in my bowel movements for years from haemorrhoids and fissures, so any kind of stool test is almost guaranteed to come back positive, pointing towards a colonoscopy etc. Now I'm wondering how long something in there might have been bleeding unnoticed and how far advanced it could be.

Due to go on holiday in three weeks time, so now that's ruined with anxiety and worry.

Anyone else had a low iron result?

Re: Low Iron levels

Hi

I've just had bloods for the same thing. My results show a normal iron level but "inadequate iron reserves" Dr has prescribed iron tablets for 2 months and then wants me to re-take the blood test to check my levels again.

I'm in a similar position to you where I'm worrying about internal bleeding somewhere! but as you say the only way to completely rule that out is colonoscopy or endoscopy possibly. I've had both in the past and whilst they aren't pleasant they aren't as bad as I was told they would be either.

Do you have any other symptoms?

It's hard when the worrying takes over but try and stay positive

Re: Low Iron levels

Nothing really, just an odd taste in my mouth which my doctor says could be down to the low iron level. I went in for something entirely different and she said I ought to have some bloods done as I hadn't had any for ages and there's a family history of thyroid problems. I was half expecting a problem from that direction but not this. Doesn't take much to make the old anxiety demon come roaring back; after fifteen years of it I don't think it's something you ever really get rid of.

Thanks for the response anyway.

Thread Information