Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed

Mick

You are doing well to keep on getting out there and doing it.

It is hard for our partners to understand how we feel and it does have an effect on them more than we know. Does she know that you have joined this forum and are looking for some help?

If only we could turn that button off eh? It is about re-training our minds to realise that not every little thing is so dangerous so we don't have to keep getting that adrenalin rush so often. It serves its purpose but is on red alert all the time for us sufferers so we have to learn to turn it off when it really doesn't need to be on.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

Just got back from the doctors - he has prescribed me a slow release beta blocker (Bedranol).
    Funny I now feel nervous about taking this - once fainted whilst using beta blockers, I had, had a couple of beers though.
    Explain this to him, but he said these should be ok in the short term to decrease the anxiety and help return my appitite, sods law loads of nice food and drink in - don't fancy any of it.
    Megs thoughts on the beta's would be of interest.
    With regards to the anxiety, I ride a powerful motorbike and I used to race a few years ago, never felt anxious about the bike, just the locations it could take me too. In some respects it is an anti anxiety aid, you have to concentrate far more than driving a car, which helps focus the mind. Plus it is a good buzz. Only when the weather is nice though.
    Cheers
    Mick

Hi Mick

I don't know much about that one but I am sure Meg will have some info for you. I guess you know about beta blockers if you have taken them before anyway.

The bike must give you the "good" adrenalin rush unlike the one that we seem to react to all the time. I love driving but I don't like traffic jams and roads that I can't pull off easily but I am not giving in to it and still drive every day and I will overcome it one day.

Hope the beta blockers help you - let us know how it goes.

Nicola

**In some respects it is an anti anxiety aid, you have to concentrate far more than driving a car, which helps focus the mind.**

This is pivitol in that you recognise that really concentrating on something helps .
    It is the initial way of getting over the waves of anxiety and panic with the changing your thought processes to more rational ones being the ultimate and permenent way of getting over it all.

Bedranol is just slow release propanolol which is a common betablocker.
    It will slow down your racing heart and relieve you of some of the body symptoms that you may be finding troublesome.
    It will not 'cure' you but may give you enough of a break to start helping yourself and start to get over some of the fear of the fear.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Meg

Thanks for the reply - I do have concerns about the heart rate being slowed - is it as read, that when you feel anxious that your heart rate increases.
    I haven't taken one yet it is 80mg per day but feeling anxious this morning - over this latest period seem to have the worse of it in the morning.
    How long do these things take to work.

Regards
    Mike

Hi Mike,

It is usually morning where anxiety kicks in most.

When you're anxious you release adrenaline this does increase heart rate. If you release lots of adrenaline at once your heart races , if its just a trickle then not much difference is felt initially.

You should feel the effect fairly shortly- can you split the tablet and just take half if you're unsure of the effect.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

They cannot be split - just taken one - I was going to go out on the mountain bike, but feel nauses (spelling) at the moment.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information