Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hi
    My anxiety attacks has reared its ugly head again over the Christmas period, it is good to find this forum because it is difficult to explain to others how you feel.
    Anyway I had my first big panic or anxiety attack on Christmas Day (Happy Christmas), probably the first in over a year to this degree and have felt varying degrees of anxiety since. I also cannot remember the last time I felt like this at home and I am trying to distract myself, but finding it very hard to concentrate on anything else than feeling anxious.
    This also impacts on my family especially my partner who is quite upset for both of us.
    I have lived my life around this for about 9 years and I would say sub-consciously have avoiding stratergies in place for anything I do.
    I am not on any medication at the moment (Apart from Rescue Remedy and pain killers) and I have not had any medication prescribed from my GP since 2001, which was Cipramil. To be honest I have not bothered going back - lost faith, just got to know one GP who then leaves the practice, back to square one.
    At this moment I am unsure what to do - either ride this period out and then revert back to how things have become. Try a different approach like the Linden method, try something herbal or go back to my GP practice, who will only prescribe some other drug.
    Any advice greatfully received, that may give a quick short term fix over the holiday period.
    Regards
    Mike

Mike

I replied to your other post and then realised that you answered the questions here so sorry about that.

We will offer you all the help we can so don't lose faith yet.
    Personally I would not recommend the Linden method to you as it is quite regimental in its approach.

The people on here will help you get through this.

Have you read Meg's First Steps post - it is also on the website at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm

There is some excellent advice on there that you may not have thought about.

Are you doing any exercise atall? Listening to relaxation CD's?

Don't worry we will give you some great advice and hopefully get you back on track.

Nicola

Hi Mikey,

Firstly you need to get over this blip that happened on Christmas day . Do you know what sparked it off ??

It is very disturbing when you've not had any issues for a while to have one as you may feel its all returning and you're getting back to square one - its not ! Something has kicked this off and it will subside and you will gain in confidence again slowly .

Then you can choose whether to carry on as you were or whether to deal with it and address the underlying issues.

If you want to share with us some of your history we'll pitch in and try to help you through it.

You can get back on track fairly quickly and then get over it ..

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi mike,

I'm hoping you're not going to see this series of attacks as it all starting over again? It's not fair that it happened at christmas but could it just be the stress of this time of year that has brought it on? I have had found the holidays particularly difficult myself, it is a bore i know. This may sound totally ridiculous, but do you see yourself as cured or still on the road to recovery? If you feel you are cured then i don't think you should start worrying all over again, i'm sure you're aware that it's generally a downward spiral if you get yourself worked up about it?!?! If you're on the road to recovery then it's just a glitch, nothing ever goes smoothly! I know this isn't really advice but it's something to think about, bit of psychology i guess!

Best wishes and good luck
    Lucy

Hi
    Thanks for the replies - I have sent a more detailed message to Nicola, which may explain more.

In reply - I have read Megs advice and printed out to re-read.

Yes I do exercise 3-4 times a week - mountain bike - found it quite difficult this morning. But no I dont use relaxation tapes (any recommendations).

With regards to being cured - no - just lived around it - which really is not the answer, but combating the attacks and associated symptons I find extremley difficult.
    Also my partner is having trouble with this at the moment, not difficult to sense she is not happy.
    May be my sub conscious need to please or have her approval is part of the problem.

I'm seriously considering contacting my GP surgery tomorrow to see what help they can offer.

Thanks
    Mick

Mick

The chances are that the doc will suggest a course of meds but you could also ask him about CBT though I believe the waiting list is horrendous!!!

Perhaps you can get some support on here that may help so hang in there.

The forum is very quiet at the moment cos of Xmas but it will liven up again soon so stick with us ok?

Nicola

Hi Mick,

Talk to us about the particular symptoms you find the hardest.. We're full of all sorts of tips but its easier if you can share some detail so we know where to start ...

There are different families of medication that you may be offered , depending on how you present your symptoms to the Gp if you go today .

What can we do to help your partner ? Does she need some support and reassurance, I'd be happy to talk it through with her.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Meg and Nicola

Thanks for the support - having a better day to day - I have had to drive the 60 mile round trip to see a client to collect some work, woke up feeling semi anxious, but got through this OK, I have even been to Sainsburys and Currys. Normality feels better.
    Partner offered to go - but I said this was not a good idea or very practical.
    We had a talk this morning - I said that her reaction was not helping the situation, she could hardly talk to me yesterday. We both got a little upset, she said all she wanted was ordinary. I do think part of the problem is my inner need for her approval, I also felt like this with my mother. But we shall see how we go.

With regards to the symptoms - I have notes etc to correct thinking, but find it near impossible to instigate this thought process when the anxiety gets to a level it got the other day. I have then spent the last couple of days fearing another attack, even though rational thinking says a panic attack cannot harm you.
    I almost wish that my flight or fright button could be turned off permanently.

Cheers
    Mick

Well done for coping so well today Mick, with the journey and going to Sainsburys and Currys.

I'm glad you're having a better day.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Mick

Well done with your journey today and facing the shops.

Glad you are feeling better

Elaine xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information