Thread: Scared Of Tunnels!

Scared Of Tunnels!

Hi All,

I'm of on my Hol's in a week Touring Norway. The thing is one of the things I will have to to is travel through a tunnel. Heres the problem.

1) I can't stand tunnels I feel very Claustrophobic this causing me to go into Panic Pip's mode.

2) It just happens to be The world's longest road tunnel: Being 24.5 km ( 15.2 miles) Oh S**T

Course I had to Google about it which didn't help matters!

Here's A Pic of it

Just wondered if anyone else has a fear of tunnels

Thanks for reading,

Take Care,

Love & Wishes,

Pip's X X X X

Re: Scared Of Tunnels!

Ello Pips me ol' Janner mate!

Never fear m'dear !!

I'm sure GG left a pile of something smelly in the Channel Tunnel back in February last year !!

Well, actually it was in the coach cuz we weren't allowed to get off unless we were going to the lav.!! I'd hoped we'd be using the Dover-Calais Ferry, but no such luck!

As we approached the entrance to the 'Chunnel' I really wished I was somewhere else - anywhere but there. (and I hadn't even discovered Rescue Remedy then because it was pre-nmp days!)

Anyway, just sheer determination kept me in my seat as the doors closed. I knew the wave would surely come and try and engulf me but I knew there'd be nowhere for me to go so I basically just tried to occupy my mind and concentrate on breathing steadily.

I thought ahead to our destination - Amsterdam, and why we were going there. It was my first trip away since I became ill - my counsellor had advised me to take trips little and often so I had something to always look forward to.

So,......in true 'GG 'style, Amsterdam in the middle of a freezing February seemed a good option !! Well, it was dirt cheap so I couldn't resist it!

Well, to cut a long story short, (yes, I do try!) When we got to the other side I was ecstatic - until I remembered I'd have to do the same on the return journey!

I spent the next four days with that thought in the back of my mind niggling away.

But, when the time came, the return journey was a lot less traumatic then the first. Now, although I wouldn't actively choose the Channel Tunnel as my first choice of cross-channel travel - I wouldn't refuse to use it again.

And it was a lot shorter than the road tunnel we went through from Switzerland to Italy a few years ago! And I managed to survive that and tell the tale too!

So, my dear Pips - if GG can do it.....you surely can!!

PS: I'm sure if you guzzle enough scrumpy beforehand you'll be fine!

Don't forget to take lots of pics and post them here ok?!!!

Last edited by groovygranny; 06-08-07 at 10:41. Reason: dreadful spelling!

Hi pips,
    I too have a phobia about tunnels.It is the claustrophobic feeling that makes me feel panicky.
    But a few years ago I went to Italy and we went through the long tunnel that goes from switzerland to Italy. I didnt like it but I just focused on watching the film that was being played on the tv on the coach.
    Im sure youl be fine and have a fantastic holiday.

Take care
    LYNN xx

i dont like tunnels either..or coaches But i guess if you dont try you wont know hey hun the scrumpy idea sounds good to me have a wonderful time pips.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just squeeze your fellas hand all the way through - oooh and also listen to your mp3 or whatever with your best music on it and see how many songs it takes to get through.

You'll be fine sausage

GG I knew it was you responsible for the smelly stuff left in the chatroom!!!

Love Piglet

Hi

I'm going thru the channel tunnel in a week and a bit and am bricking it!! Am saving my Diazipam for the trip - nothing else for it for me.

Kay x

So much GG Lynn Paddington Piglet and Kay for all your support and encouragement. It's most appreciated

Apparantly it's supposed to be quite a romantic tunnel Oh err if you can have a romantic tunnel that is! LOL It's because Special attention has been paid to the lighting. Whereas white light is used in the tunnel itself, the mountain halls are equipped with blue and yellow light. This gives one the illusion of driving into daylight every 6 km (3.7 miles), and the golden light along the floor gives the illusion of sunrise! A couple even got married in the tunnel mad hey!

Well Thanks again I'm just gonna and hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel!

Take Care,

Love & Wishes Pip's X X X X

I can remeber being nine yrs old and closing my eyes all the way through the tunnel on a brownie trip! Brown Owl asked if I was ok. That is the first time I realised I squeaked! 'NNggghh!' Of course, then everyone focussed attention at me so I did what any self respecting brownie would do............pretended I was asleep! Having been to Italy and Austria since...it still works for me!
    Close your eyes and pick a really big number like 5000 and say you are not going to open your eyes until you have taken that many breaths....you will before then....but focusing on a big number is good!

happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Thanks Happyone,

I'll give that a go.

Take Care,

Love & Wishes Pip's X X

I fear tunnels too

Thread Information