Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reacting badly to med change

Unhappy reacting badly to med change

Hi,

I am reacting badly to the change from citalopram to fluoxetine (prozac) I have been doubled over with stomach cramps, tight chest, feeling like I have difficulty breathing (prob anx), feeling of fear and doom, and I have an itchy rash all over the upper part of my body. I have a really really bad rage growing. I am going to take my seroquel soon as no one is safe around me. I don't feel very safe myself . I phoned the duty doctor who was useless. This conversation ensued (this is almost word for word)

Doc "why are you taking prozac?"

Me. emmmm....depression

Doc. Mmmm yes. Are you still taking the antibiotics

Me. No, they finished about 3 weeks ago

Doc. Why did you change to prozac?

Me. .......because the citalopram weren't working!

Doc. MMmmmm. ok....and you have a rash you say and stomach cramps?

Me. uh huh

Doc. well....you can either continue to take the prozac and see if the rash gets worse or better....or you can go back to citalopram and see if it gets worse or better!

Me. emmmm thanks.

What is that all about? Flaming doctors! I could phone the psych team but I think I will just try to sleep it off and just not take any of them and just take more of my Seroquel if I feel bad over weekend. I feel really scared now. I can't believe the doc was so useless.

Happyone
    xx

ps I know my beer last night may have something to do with it, but I really think it is the drug change. Actually there is no warnings on the prozac for not drinking like there was with the citalopram.

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: reacting badly to med change

Happyone.

Sorry to hear all this. Bloomin' doctor!!

I think you need to get some more advice actually - you might want to try ringing the out-of-hours GP again, or NHS Direct, or even a Chemist.

Personally I wouldn't persevere with it if it's giving you a rash and cramps...you might be having a reaction to it. I don't know for sure but don't remember these things as being any of the common side-effects with Fluox?

Good luck xxx

Gosh well that wasn't helpful was it mate.

I agree with dying swan about trying NHS Direct. I don't think you should take anymore until you know for sure.

Love Piglet

Hi,
    an irritant rash was listed in my google search. The cramps I think are as a result of stopping the citalopram. I have had that even if I am late in taking it. The rash is really getting to me, it is so intense.
    I might have to phone pysch team or NHS24. Thanks though .

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Yes do do this Happyone and let us know how you get on.

Love Piglet

I hope you get this sorted soon mate

Lisa x

Ok, being a geek, I have looked it all up in the BNF......

SSRI side effects:

"include Gastro-intestinal effects (dose-related and fairly common - include nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation), anorexia with weight loss (increased appetite and weight gain also reported)
    and

"Hypersensitivity reactions including rash (consider discontinuation - may be sign of ....(Dying Swan is not reproducing this bit), Urticaria" (Hives)...
    Fluoxetine Side effects (includes SSRI effects)

"vasodilatation, postural hypotension (low BP when you stand up), dyspnoea (the tight chest/breathing difficulties), chills, taste disturbances, sleep disturbances, euphoria, confusion, yawning" etc etc
    So - in a nutshell (my nutshells are normally quite big), it could be side effects but it could also be a reaction. Really, I think you need more advice (and not from that silly doctor) before you take any more.

Good luck and let us know how things go xxxx

References: BNF 52.,(2006), "British National Formulary 52 - September 2006", London: British Medical Association & Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.
    Dying Swan ain't getting in no copyright rows!

Dying Swan, please you have to repeat the bit you left out!

"Hypersensitivity reactions including rash (consider discontinuation - may be sign of ....(Dying Swan is not reproducing this bit),
    I am panicking now.

I am going to look it up.

Happyone
    xx

—Mark Twain

Lmao I know - sorry....I shouldn't even have put that 'I'm leaving it out' bit in!

All it says is that it may be a sign of serious systemic reaction....but I didn't want you to read it because I thought it sounded a little too dramatic.

It's probably fine mate but I really think you need to get some advice before continuing......ok???

xxx

I am def not taking any more!

I have googled and I am really scared. There are reports of liver toxicity esp in people who are on other drugs.

Thanks swan.

happyone
    xx

—Mark Twain

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information