Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: reacting badly to med change

Re: reacting badly to med change

Don't be scared hun you will be fine. I think you are wise to stop for now though, until you can get some medical advice xxxxxx

It could well be both the stopping the Citalopram and starting the Fluoxetine, both withdrawal and new side effects all at once. I think that's probably the most likely option.

Not wanting to frighten you, because my experience was bad, but this is exactly what happened to me when I took Fluoxetine. Maybe it is normal but the rash had me really worried.

I persevered for 3 days before I went back to my doc. The rash I had over my armpits and knees and other more sensitive areas, bruising on my legs and I felt really sick, like something was definitely not right. My doc said it was an allergic reaction. It is on my records for me never to take Fluoxetine again.

I would give NHS direct a ring. I'm sure it says in the patient info leaflet that a rash side effect is serious enough to stop taking it?

Jim

I am not taking them anymore Jim. The problem I am having now is whether or not I will take the citalopram tomorrow instead. I have already said on my thread that I am freaked by this. It shouldn't be a big deal but it is.

I have had fluoxetine before and not had a reaction so now I am freaked that it is a combination of all the meds making my toxicity levels in my liver too high.

I know I will be ok, but I don't know if I can carry on poisoning myself.

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Ok, if you've had it before then it's not an allergy and the rash must just be a side effect.

Did they get you to reduce the Citalopram first, or have you just changed over in 1 day?

It probably takes more than 24 hours for Citalopram to get out of your system. Perhaps the two together are upsetting things?

I was always very quickly weaned off the old AD before starting the new one with a gap in between of no meds.

But most importantly don't start googling about liver damage etc. That will only make you more anx. Phone NHS direct or get an emergency apt with a doc who knows what they are talking about. Maybe a day off work would be a good idea tomorrow.

Don't worry hun, I've been through this before so I know you'll be fine even though you feel awful now.

I've been at my PC all day today so my back is screwed but my MSN is on if you need me.

Jim

Jim
    NHS24 said it is more likely to be an allergy considering I have had it before. You apparently have to be introduced to something before it can become an allergen for you. A bit of trivia for today!

Thanks for offering to be on MSN hun. I have calmed considerably now. NHS24 managed to reassure me that it was a simple allergy and not kidney or liver failure

I am still freaked by it in as much as it is proof to me of them working away in my body, doing more than they are supposed to.

happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Don't worry hun.

If you are in anything like the state I was in when it happened to me, you will be freaked out. Try not to worry, you'll be fine in a few days.

So I guess you have gone back to the Citalopram for now?

I'm wondering why they suggested a change to Prozac from Citalopram, as I was told Citalopram was more effective in a lot of ways to Prozac?

They tried Paroxetine after Citalopram instead for me, that didn't work so now I'm on Venlafaxine, which is considered the last resort in terms of SSRI type AD's.

Don't let this incident put you off tho, it's very rare to be allergic to any med so you were just very very unlucky. You are not poisoning your body by taking meds. As me and my doc always say "If you were diabetic then you would take insulin", it's no different from that.

I think people often don't realise how much the meds are helping till you're off them. That's what happened in my case each time they took me off a med to start a new one. I'm still not happy that they were helping enough, which is why they've just combined it with the Trazodone which I'm struggling with a bit, but it's early days.

Jim

Jim,
    I am in paranoia mode now. I think the shrink knew it wouldn't work (it was my suggestion rather than the lithium) so it suited his purpose as he thinks I will go back and ask for lithium, which I am not going to do.
    I am not taking the citalopram, I am going to do without. The worst that can happen is I will have withdrawal effects and if I get too bad, I will just take more seroquel. I am afraid that when I googled, I found out far more than I wanted.

I can't help but think I can do this without meds. I think I have persuaded myself I have this illness.

If I get really bad, I will call the doc, but I don't want to go to shrink.

I know that all sounds a bit erratic but it isn't, I have actually thought about it. I am fine and I will be sensible

Happyone
    xx

—Mark Twain

Love Piglet

I do feel for you mate and understand totally. Do talk this through with doc or shrink though eh.

You have not talked yourself into having this illness though, that's not possible mate. I've thought that myself with my ME, ie I must have believed I had it before diagnosis, or even wanted it in some way to cop out of life and therefore developed the symptoms and it's all in my mind but it's not and nor is your bp.

Lisa x

Thanks hun

My itching is lessening so maybe the prozac is coming out of my system. I am still itchy but not that horrible intense way.

Happyone
    xx

—Mark Twain

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information