Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT Questions

CBT Questions

How do I go about getting to see a CBT therapist? If my doctor refers me how long is the waiting list usually and if I go private does anyone know how much it costs? I want to get cracking with it instead of sitting on some waiting list for a year whilst getting worse...

Twister,

my appointment came thru in about 2.5 months of going to the doctors. from what the gp said they try anti-depressants work that is fine and won't send you to a cbt. i refused to take the tablets therefore he pushed for an appointment

luv
    lucky

I think it must depend on your area though

Take care

Hi Twister
    Like Lucky I too havent taken my Anti-depressants, and yesterday I discussed Therapy with my Doctor, it definately depends on where you live because where I live there is a shortage of therapists so our Doctors cant refer me direct! they have refered me to my local Health service (or something!!) and They will then refer me to a councillor suitable (after assessing my medical records), all in all they said it could take up to 18mths because of the shortage (hopefully I will have overcome it by then on my own - but its always there to fall back on) it could come through sooner tho!, so get your name down ASAP.

I have had a freind who went to a councillor privately (for other reasons though!) and that cost her about £15 for 50 minutes if I remember right.

again though, private therapist will charge differently in different parts of the Country

Good Luck
    Michelle

I have found out that I have private cover from work so that might reduce the wait. I have to get the doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist to prove that I have panic disorder (!!???) then he can refer me to a CBT. Long winded way about it, it seems to me.

Every GP surgery in the country is affiliated to a community mental health team which they can refer you to.
    It is unlikely that us anxiety people would see a psychiatrist- as we're not ill enough- but there are Community Psychiatric Nurses's that will assess you as well as doing 1 to 1 CBT .

Going private (employment medical cover) will mean you can see someone within days from now which will help enormously. It depends on your cover whether they suggest someone or you have to find someone whom they approve of but it's unlikely that you can pick at random. You'll need a GP referral most of the time

Paying your own way means you can see a practicioner of your own choosing . The general rate is about £35.00 hour. They should offer you the first session at a reduced/ free rate so you can just meet and discuss your needs and whether you can work together or spend quite a time on the phone doing that.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

I got to see my CBT therapist after a few weeks but I know the waiting list is long.

My partner has private health care now so I think I will see if they can do anything for me as I feel I need more CBT now. The last time I had it was over 6 years ago!

Nicola

Twister,

Any further forward with the CBT referall?

Lucky

Yes, thanks for asking, I have found it is covered on my Insurance so I have an appointment on 3rd December at the Priory with a psychiatrist who will then forward me on to a psychologist. I have been thinking about maybe going for psychotherapy instead - anyone got any feelings on this?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information