Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CBT Questions

Hiya Charlie,

Glad to hear that CBT is working for you. I am still not sure as to which psych. I am to see, Which one does the CBT? The Psychiatrist, Psychologist, or the Psychotherapist? The CBT definitely sounds like something I would like to atleast try!!! Please let me know which Psych. I should be seeking. Just curious , how long have you been attending CBT?

Cheers,

Diana xxx

Hi Charlie

I am glad that the CBT is working for you and I agree it must be a very good therapy.

I was just going to mention though that if anyone wants to see a psychotherapist they should make sure they are resgistered with the British Psychological Society, which essentially means they have chartered status and have a psychology degree and further training after in counselling or specifically psychotherapy.

Emily

Hi Diana

I haven't asked my therapist what qualifications she has, but will do next time. She was provided on the NHS as part of a Community Mental Health Programme which is very prolific in our area, and I never thought to ask! I'm afraid I've been a bit blinkered - its working, so I've not asked too many questions, just accepted it!

I started in March and went every 3-4 weeks until September. Now I go every 2 months! We still haven't tried anything major, but I can now go shopping, visit the theatre, eat out and go clubbing again, which I wasn't doing when i started seeing her. I will carry on going and working on these issues for another few months, then we will start doing more difficult tasks (the idea being that my confidence / ability to cope will have increased and the more difficult things will become easier!!!)

Charlie

Hi Charlie

I had to laugh at this bit ....

"We still haven't tried anything major, but I can now go shopping, visit the theatre, eat out and go clubbing again, which I wasn't doing when i started seeing her." []

That is a major achievement in itself just doing those things. I am not at the stage that I regularly go to the theatre (I used to), and I still find shopping can be stressful.

So "Well Done" for these achievements

Nicola

Hi Charlie,

Kudos!!! on all the great accomplishments. Sounds like you are doing great!!! Keep up the good work. I too will be looking into seeing a psychotherapist, and thanks all for the information that I should check when searching for one.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for all that . Extremely relevant information.

I like your GP - has common sense !

Diana, I wouldn't be too hung up on the title of the person - the therapist is likely to be cheaper than the doctors though. The important thing is their experience and track record. Ask them about what methods and theories they prefer to use and see if CBT comes up.

If you're in the USA I think lots has to do with who's registered through the HMO for insurance reasons. I know a great one in DC.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Meg,
    What is the name of the one in DC? I may be able to use that one with my insurance. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Your help on here is priceless!!!

Thanks again,

Diana xxx

Fair point Nicola

I forgot when I wrote that that I was talking to UNDERSTANDING people!!!! :-)

Usually when talking about my problems, I have got so used to people looking at me "gone out" because I admit to having problems with shopping, having lifts in cars etc. etc. :-(

I'm meeting some people I haven't seen for ten years, for a meal tonight, and I haven't even given it a thought (and more importantly not a panic!!!)And I did all my Xmas shopping last week - so yes, I have done very well.

The next level will be harder though, it includes weekend breaks, staying with people and going abroad!

Still ... from little Acorns and all that!!!

Charlie

Hey Charlie,
    Good for you!!! Keep it up.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

I forgot when I wrote that that I was talking to UNDERSTANDING people!!!! :-)
    Hi Charlie

I hope you didn't think I was being patronising or rude - I was genuinely happy for you and just reminding you not beat yourself up for such achievements.

Good luck for the meet up - should be fun

Nicola

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information