Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CBT Questions

Does any one know if you can get CBT at home? I just cant leave the house!

A S Murch

Hi Amanda,

Yes, the community mental health teams have nurses who home visit who can do the basics.
    You GP will need to refer you and there will a wait of varying length depending on your location.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Nic

Of course I didn't think you were being patronising or rude!!!!! This site is great.

It's just that when you spend most of your time around "normal"??? people, it's very easy to forget that there are lots of others out there who suffer in the same way as you do, and that in fact with about a quarter of the population, I am totally normal!

I have just re-read what I put, and it sounds a bit sarcastic, which I wasn't being either. I have spent the last twenty years trying to explain that because I often don't want to eat out or go shopping with my mum, it's not because I don't love her, or want to be "part of the family". And that unfortunately, the more stressed about it she becomes, the more anxious I get! It's because it's very difficult for me to do these things sometimes!

So this site is a major discovery for me, as I seem to get EVERY symptom of anxiety when I suffer, and it's very comforting to realise that I obviously haven't got the thirty two serious and terminal diseases which I had almost convinced myself I'd got. Just general symptoms of anxiety which are suffered by lots and lots of other people, which makes me normal after all.

Thank you to everybody who has helped me with their comments and advice

xxx

Charlie

Hi Charlie

I think we both re-read our posts and thought we were both a bit off and neither of us meant to be. What a pair we are eh? Crossed wires I think.

I am glad the site and the forum are helping and hope you continue to benefit from the site :-)

Nicola

Sometimes when I am writing on this site, I jump about because I just have so much to say.

Thinking about Nicola's comments have made me realise that in just a few months I have achieved an awful lot with CBT - and in terms of where I was last year I've improved 200 %.

Sometimes with my issues, I don't realise how far I've come (they are minor things to my "normal" friends).

So a big THANK YOU to Nicola, cos you've made me step back and realise how much better I am - I'm going to go and make sure I have an excellent weekend now!

Moral of the story - don't be too hard on yourself, and take time to step back and review your progress at regular intervals!!!!! :-)

Charlie

Thanks Rader! I have had a private appointment but didn't go it was £70 an hour i got to my gate and nearly had a nervous breakdown at the thought of having to go! I just hope i find one who will do home visits! Thanks
    LOL Mandy

A S Murch

I've got my appointment at the Priory on the 3rd December - he charges £200 an hour!

In my experience CBT therapists charge more than other counsellors/psychotherapists - £60-£70 as opposed to £35-40. Not sure why except that CBT is short-term whilst psychotherapy tends to be long-term. Regarding the NHS, experience will probably vary around the country but I was offered only 8 sessions, a friend who lives elsewhere had the same yet when you read about it, the recommendation is between 12 and 20. My experience was emphasis on teaching the technique with little help at helping me to actually look at the issues I raised, however other people on this site have had more positive experiences of CBT.

The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy have lists of therepists - www.bacp.co.uk. I know you can search the website for therapists in your area but can't remember if you can search for CBT people. If you phone them I think they'll send you a list.

Theresa

Charlie - Thanks for the kind words - I am so glad that you are sounding positive and full of life - it warms me to see the change in people on here just when they get chance to express themselves. I hope you had a lovely weekend :-)

Mandy - I am sure there must be someone who would come to your home to do it. Not sure how you find them but can your GP recommend anyone?

Twister - that sounds a little too expensive for me. You will need quite a few sessions and at £200 a go you will soon run out of money!

Theresa - thanks for the link - will take a look at it. I am so glad I never paid for my treatment all those years ago. I think it should be on the NHS and we shouldn't have to pay to get better! We pay into the NHS all our lives and then they let us down!

Nicola

Dear God Nicola I'm not paying for it! My lovely company is[8D]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information