Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about climate change

Worried about climate change

Last night I saw a chart of land and ocean temperature percentiles for this year, showing record temperatures in Europe and the oceans. I also saw a graph showing that the ice caps are melting at an alarming rate. As you can imagine, I'm worried about inheriting a polluted planet - no, I'm worried about ending up in a Waterworld-type scenario where all the land is submerged in water! The problem is, not only are there people willing to fry the planet like this, I don't know how to combat it myself; I run several electrical appliances daily and use gas to cook. And some of those appliances are essential. I don't even know what else I can do!

Re: Worried about climate change

If I'm completely honest, on a personal level, anything you do won't have an effect. It needs the big countries (USA, China, India) to come together and properly work this out.
    Global warming is definitely getting worse. And it worries me too what the world is going to be like in a few decades time. But try to only worry on the things you can personally change. If you can't do anything about it yourself, don't worry about it. That's what I tell myself

Oh sure, and while the US ramps up its use of fossil fuels, the rest of us are left deadlocked!

There are many aspects of life we have no control over. That seems to be your issue du jour. Other than a vote, there's nothing you can do about leadership or politics. Other than recycle your own waste or join an environmental group, there's nothing you can do about climate change. Truth be told, none of us will be here if or when something catastrophic happens.

Do you want to spend your days worrying about something you can't do a damn thing about or live the best life you can while you're here?

Nothing said here will alleviate your worries so it's a choice you need to make and act on.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

All we can do is our bit, the rest is up to governments to work together.

But you can work on reducing how it makes you feel. It sounds like the news is a source of triggers for you. Do you find yourself jumping from one major world worry too another?

More or less.

Oh Christ no. This is terrifying!
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/re...l-climate-2017

Just stop reading it if it makes you panic.

'HOTTEST YEAR ON RECORD' is a meaningless statistic anyway, as accurate global records barely span a single human lifetime. How do we know that 1329 wasn't the hottest year on record?

There is also plenty of evidence that global warming is cyclical and happens every so many millennia anyway, and it hasn't wiped out humanity yet. It's a very slow process and we will adapt as we go.

That's not to say that mankind isn't contributing to all sorts of global problems, but all you can do is your part.

Frank, to help my anxiety, i have 2 questions that i ask myself constantly that help me out :

Does it affect me directly?
    Is it something i can personally change?

You're looking at the second question here. It isn't something you can personally change so don't worry about it. Worrying about it is not going to change anything whatsoever. Don't look global warming up anymore. Distract yourself. Stay away from headlines that cause anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmith View Post
    Is it something i can personally change?

You're looking at the second question here. It isn't something you can personally change so don't worry about it.

Not necessarily. I could clog some factory chimneys so the noxious fumes don't get out! If sabotage is the only recourse, then so be it!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information