Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about climate change

Re: Worried about climate change

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
    Hottest year on record means since they began recording, which wasn't long ago at all when compared against the length of time that humanity has actually been around.
    This always reminds me of a Michael McIntyre show where he says "that first year must have been a whopper for records being broken!"

Perhaps we need a period of slowdown before we can shift into reverse gear Frank? During slowdown it can only continue to get worse, just at a slower pace.

As said, it has to come from governments and they need to work together. They also need big groups lobbying for change otherwise big business will only keep winning to pay their shareholders.

They need to kick councils up the bum too. It's annoying how they have different recycling policies, it should be a national strategy and not one that allows them to slime around just hitting a % however they can. So much is wasted.

Tackling plastics would be a good start. It's not much use having the climate sorted if we've killed all the marine life.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 07-08-18 at 04:44.

TBH I think it's too late. Just my opinion. It's not irrational to worry about this. I worry more about politics. I can't change it I wish I could but we can all do tiny things. I'm a green voter so I try and do well for the planet. I can't get involved in the mainstream politics it's too corrupt I'm too sensitive. I think the heatwaves are showing that it is too hot. But ,Ike I said it's too late now to worry. Just donlittle things and vote when you get the chance.

Bear in mind that any large system (and the climate is a very large system) has inertia built into it. It takes time to respond. Just as it took centuries for mankind's activities to cause warming, it will take the same for our response to global warming to have an effect. And we are taking action. In Britain there are regular periods when the national grid is entirely powered by renewables, no fossil fuels, that didn't happen even ten years ago, and I was reading on the BBC news site about the hydro-electric power now being produced by China. It'll take a while, maybe a long while, for the situation to improve but I believe it will. In the meantime we have to find ways to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
    I think really it's up to the governments to change regulations, and not put it on the shoulders of the public to "do their little bit". They like to control everything else, anyway. If they care enough, then they'll make the changes. Until then, I don't think they are taking it all that seriously at all... not enough to make THEM act threatened by it, anyway, IMO.

I was afraid of that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-env...775309?SThisFB

It's definitely gotten worse. And get this: the meat and dairy industry were being secretive about their emissions data and are in fact doing worse emissions than the 100 corporations responsible for 71% of greenhouse gases!

A global warming catastrophe is imminent. We need massive restructuring of our society and economy right now to prevent collapse!
    Last edited by FrankT; 11-10-18 at 08:54.

My family agree with me.

Frank - you are still worrying about things that you cannot control. Are you getting some help for your anxiety?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes, but I'm waiting for a telephone appointment.

I guess you would have to dig further into to the report to get a sense of anything considering the BBC article is just a load of woolly stuff. All we seem to get is coral reefs will disappear and the waters will rise to cause more flooding. I was expecting a lot more factual information than that to be honest.

The advice to consumers could be much better. Trying to control sources through how we shop is hit & miss. I was surprised there wasn't more energy advice in there to be honest.

It mentions massive investment and enormous change but is very light on what that change needs to be.

The report is big on emotional terms though.

Glad to hear you are getting into therapy, Frank.

There's also this: https://bbc.in/2PnzX49

Do I have to switch to tofu?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information