Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worried about climate change

Re: Worried about climate change

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    No, don’t eat tofu. It’ll give you terrible flatulence and you’ll just end up contributing to the ‘problem’. And then we’ll have to blame you for it!
    Haven't we been told leaving the EU is going to knacker our Xmas Brussels sprouts? Have they worked out how many extra years on planet earth that carbon saving will grant us?

Sprouts Mexicaine, otherwise known as the Sprouts of Evil!

"We will show our dedication to the evil one by eating the Sprouts of Evil! "

(I also love sprouts)

Great TV show, that.

Try getting involved in a campaign to reduce the harm we are doing. You could Email politicians, encourage friends and neighbors to recycle, etc. One of the biggest dangers is overpopulation, especially in places like Africa, where the birthrate is very high. When a billion Africans demand the Western lifestyle, the problems will escalate. So get involved in campaigns to encourage contraception in the developing world. Being involved will make you feel better.

Oh... this is bad.

https://theecologist.org/2015/feb/27...ity-much-worse

Basically, we're a lost cause.

It is bad, yes. But I’m not sure we are a lost cause. I think it is still worth trying. Humans are pretty adaptable- (although civilisations maybe less so?) As FMP said earlier in the thread, Mother Earth will recover, with or without us. And as someone else pointed out, the earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling over the millennia (although human civilisations have not, since Homo sapiens have not been around for all that long comparatively speaking- civilisations much less so).

How does that compare to now since that article is 4 years old?

I was hoping someone would tell me.

This next election may be the difference between life and death. Again, the UN says we only have 12 years before something big happens. I'm expecting the biosphere of Earth to collapse entirely!
    Last edited by FrankT; 22-05-19 at 14:07.

Do you mean the European Parliament elections, Frank? From our point of view this one (should) be a short term affair so I wouldn't worry about who gets in from here as it's being fought along Brexit lines. Otherwise the main parties want to stay aligned with the EU over climate change and the Withdrawal Agreement also has a clause for this so providing they vote to pass the WA, which at some point they are going to have to, we will be committing to retaining current goals. Or are you more concerned about other states electing from parties less interested in climate change or active deniers? I suspect though that this is more about how your anxiety is triggered by change in the news.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information