Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9,139

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Good that you both can help each other and welcome to the forum, Nicole!

    I only mentioned the constipation because I have problems even at a low dose. The GP said I wouldn't but the Consultant said I would! I'm sure the prunes will do the trick!

    Even if this turns out to be REM behavioural sleep disorder it's obviously treatable and not having HA allows your partner to take things as they come rather than project too much into an unpredictable future. How I envy people who have this attitude to life-I'm always thinking ahead and planning for the worst and it might never happen!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Hi Nicole,
    Interesting you mentioned Melatonin as I'd bought some 5-HTP serotonin support for my partner and he's been on that for a week. I think he's been a bit better but it's difficult to tell as I've mainly been sleeping in the other room. I'm a chronic poor sleeper and the CFS doesn't help things either.

    It will be interesting to see how he goes with the Ami. You are correct Clonazepam can be used for epilepsy. I know how awful anxiety can be, before I was diagnosed with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) I was tested for MS as it can have similar symptoms. That was 25 years ago. I'm very lucky as my CFS is at a low level, it comes and goes in flares but is not a progressive condition

    Of course your husband is right, and at our age any number of conditions can crop up, so we have to keep the positive in mind. I know it's hard to do when you're dealing with the unknown. Hope this thread hasn't caused you too much stress

    ---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Good that you both can help each other and welcome to the forum, Nicole!

    I only mentioned the constipation because I have problems even at a low dose. The GP said I wouldn't but the Consultant said I would! I'm sure the prunes will do the trick!

    Even if this turns out to be REM behavioural sleep disorder it's obviously treatable and not having HA allows your partner to take things as they come rather than project too much into an unpredictable future. How I envy people who have this attitude to life-I'm always thinking ahead and planning for the worst and it might never happen!
    My partner is a very pragmatic person and objective too. I think many people without HA are better at not looking too far into the future, whereas we are hyper-vigilant types. Planning or expecting the worse is actually a protective strategy and it's what I do also.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    132

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Thanks Pulisa for the welcome. You are right about predicting!
    Hubbie still has good nights and bad nights - I took to sleeping in the spare room for a while as I too don't sleep well. I still decamp when needed! He seems to go through patches when he's a bit worse and then it calms down again - maybe when there's more stress at work?? I did stop him watching anything violent before bed time in case that effected his dreams - eg Game of Thrones! But he's often just playing football in his sleep or something and I get a kick. I'm also aware if he is a bit unsettled in his sleep and that gives me a warning something's about to kick off - often literally! So at that stage I might nudge him awake and suggest he uses the bathroom or something to "break" the cycle. Not sure if that's the right thing to do.....This HA can be all consuming but luckily he's a really calm "let's not worry about it til it's happened" sort of guy. Sort of balances me a bit. This site so far has helped - nice to know I'm not alone on this strange journey!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9,139

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    My husband is very laid back about everything including major issues going on in his life which he is happy to delegate to me! His sleep apnoea is linked to allsorts including Alzheimer's which his Father has..but he prefers to ignore the risk and says he will deal with things if they happen. I know it will be me who has to deal with them however..

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My husband is very laid back about everything including major issues going on in his life which he is happy to delegate to me! His sleep apnoea is linked to allsorts including Alzheimer's which his Father has..but he prefers to ignore the risk and says he will deal with things if they happen. I know it will be me who has to deal with them however..
    Isn't this why they say marriage to a man is good training for motherhood, just with a bigger baby? Your MIL hands over the reigns
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Isn't this why they say marriage to a man is good training for motherhood, just with a bigger baby? Your MIL hands over the reigns
    I had a big grin about this also Terry, I guess if the MIL has done a good job then the future partners task will be easier. At least second time around less training is required

    ---------- Post added at 04:18 ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My husband is very laid back about everything including major issues going on in his life which he is happy to delegate to me! His sleep apnoea is linked to allsorts including Alzheimer's which his Father has..but he prefers to ignore the risk and says he will deal with things if they happen. I know it will be me who has to deal with them however..
    Hi pulisa,
    I guess it gets down to how much control your husband actually has over his future health (what measures can he take)? My partner was just saying this morning, why worry about something that may never happen or that may happen years down the line, it just wastes your quality of life while you are well. He's right of course but this is often so difficult for many of us to do, especially if you suffer from HA.

    These neurological issues can't be controlled unlike smoking or excess alcohol consumption. In saying this a lovely Samoan teacher (50) at our school has developed lung cancer and neither she of her family smoke! So rare but sadly it does happen :(

    ---------- Post added at 04:23 ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole0134 View Post
    Hubbie still has good nights and bad nights - I took to sleeping in the spare room for a while as I too don't sleep well. I still decamp when needed! He seems to go through patches when he's a bit worse and then it calms down again - maybe when there's more stress at work?? I did stop him watching anything violent before bed time in case that effected his dreams - eg Game of Thrones! But he's often just playing football in his sleep or something and I get a kick. I'm also aware if he is a bit unsettled in his sleep and that gives me a warning something's about to kick off - often literally! So at that stage I might nudge him awake and suggest he uses the bathroom or something to "break" the cycle. Not sure if that's the right thing to do.....This HA can be all consuming but luckily he's a really calm "let's not worry about it til it's happened" sort of guy. Sort of balances me a bit. This site so far has helped - nice to know I'm not alone on this strange journey!
    Nicole, this sounds very familiar, you can head one of these 'sleep sessions' off at the pass!!. Quite often if we go away, my partner won't have these sleep issues but that's because he's in a new place therefore having a lighter sleep. Yes their calmness does level things out, I know it makes me feel far less stressed
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 27-07-18 at 05:34.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    132

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    One more tip - we put a pillow between hubbie's side of the bed and the bedside table so that if he does take off, he's protected from any sharp edges. He's only ended up out of bed once but did scrape his thigh down the side of the unit. When he attended the sleep clinic they told him that a woman with the same condition had seriously hurt herself doing the same thing. Oh and long haul flights are interesting if he doses off.....means I can't as I'm keeping an eye on him!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    What if he takes off but heading your way, Nicole?

    Lesley, my dad has had night terrors for many years. He starts wailing so loud you can hear him downstairs. He says it's always like some shadow is strangling him and he can't get away.

    We get trained by our dads too. Mine says always agree you are wrong even when you aren't, life is easier that way It also takes some years to work out that saving all those hammering tasks until the better half's certain time of the month is a really bad idea
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    132

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Your dad sounds like a wise man Terry....Yep I've had a few slaps and kicks as I say. We made a joke of it at first - hubbie would get teased, suggesting he was awake when doing it!!
    Also slept with a pillow between us at times. The main precaution I take now is that I'm reluctant to sleep facing him as I'd like to hang on to my teeth for as long as possible!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Partner has REM behavioural sleep disorder ... I'm so anxious

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole0134 View Post
    Your dad sounds like a wise man Terry....Yep I've had a few slaps and kicks as I say. We made a joke of it at first - hubbie would get teased, suggesting he was awake when doing it!!
    Also slept with a pillow between us at times. The main precaution I take now is that I'm reluctant to sleep facing him as I'd like to hang on to my teeth for as long as possible!
    I understand this Nicole, luckily I've only been clonked a couple of times but now I always face to the outside left (which is my favoured side). I've thought of putting a pillow between us and even getting a wider bed!!

    If I know I'm going to be teaching the next day, I sleep in the next room

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Partner is going away on Friday - feeling anxious
    By GirlAfraid23 in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-07-15, 18:05
  2. Partner away - anxious
    By duns in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-03-15, 20:31
  3. Having an anxious partner too
    By W.I.F.T.S. in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-06, 12:17

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •