Thread: Low white blood cell count - SCARED!

Low white blood cell count - SCARED!

Hello. It's been 6 years since I last posted here - I was doing so well but need your support again now...

The other week I found a large lump in my neck. I went to the doctor and had a blood test and ultrasound scan. Blood test results came back the day after with a text message saying to make a "non-urgent" phone call with my doctor within 4 weeks. Meanwhile the lump had reduced in size and I could barely find it. The ultrasound showed it to be a slightly enlarged lymph node, but it looked perfectly normal and "nothing to worry about".

Today I had the phone call with my doctor to discuss the blood test who said my white blood cell count is slightly low and wants to re-test in 6 weeks. Doctor Google is telling me it's something sinister and now I'm feeling all kinds of sensations such as tingling and itching which I know deep-down is due to this anxiety but I'm attributing to my "illness".

The doctor said that she's 98% sure it's nothing to worry about and that the low blood count of white cells is in line with normal bodily function. But why do they want to re-test?! It's making me scared and is refuelling my health anxiety which I thought I had under control. Please help and reassure!

Re: Low white blood cell count - SCARED!

It is normal for them to go low sometimes and standard practice to repeat the blood test. It does not mean anything is wrong.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Low white blood cell count - SCARED!

I’ve had this, so has my mom, and so has my best friend. It was nothing in every case.

Thread Information