Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown discharge between periods, weird feelings etc. Relapse with HA!

Brown discharge between periods, weird feelings etc. Relapse with HA!

Hey all, it’s me.. I’ve had a bit of a relapse with my health anxiety and need some reining in.

I’ve suffered with health anxiety for a long time and I am now seeing a therapist, and it has been helpful. It’s a slow process but every now and then I’ll realise something, I’ll be anxious or notice something about my body and I’ve been able to say “hey, puzzled, this doesn’t mean this is the worst thing, relax”

It’s been a very stressful time as of late, lots going on with family and work so my anxiety has been at a high.

I’m currently concerned about some mid cycle bleeding I’ve had the last couple months. The first time it happened I know I had forgotten to take my contraceptive pill so after some logical thinking I managed to put that worry aside (therapy - highly recommend). I also experienced a weird feeling in my pelvis.

It happened again the next month, around the time I’d ovulate (except I shouldn’t be cause I’m on the pill and have been for years!)

I went to the doctor today and explained what had been happening. I did a urine test and it looked like the start of an infection so I have antibiotics. I also did some swabs.

When I asked doctor if I should be concerned I found her reaction hard to read.

She did say that stress etc can cause our hormones to do weird things, and I’m aware of this. But when I asked her if I should be concerned she said that it could be the UTI, or bacterial vaginosis and that they will go looking for zebras later. Which is a term I’ve heard but I don’t fully understand. I mentioned the C word and she said if it doesn’t clear up she’ll want to do more.

I know I have a uterine fibroid, but it’s small. I had a transvaginal scan done in May last year and that was all ok apart from fibroid.

What really scared me is she said that she wants to see me again in 3-4 weeks regardless. Why would she say that if she wasn’t concerned? I need some rational thoughts!!

Re: Brown discharge between periods, weird feelings etc. Relapse with HA!

It sounds to me like it's normal discharge that many women get when they ovulate, especially since it's mid cycle. You usually ovulate around 10 days after the last day of your period. It's also normal to have some discharge if you have a fibroid. That's probably why she wasn't concerned.

If the expert was not concerned, then you probably shouldn't be either.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Oh, and it also is normal for women to get PMS-like symptoms and mood swings during ovulation...so that would explain the weird feelings.

I’m on the pill so I didn’t think I ovulated!

I think she was concerned because she wanted to see me again in 3-4 weeks. If she wasn’t concerned why would she ask me to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzledlass View Post
    I’m on the pill so I didn’t think I ovulated!

I think she was concerned because she wanted to see me again in 3-4 weeks. If she wasn’t concerned why would she ask me to come back?
    Hi sometimes on the pill you can still get break through bleeding. Your Dr is being thorough by asking you back to see her plus she knows about your HA too. Stress can play havoc with your hormones whether you're on the pill or not.

I don't know how old you are but sometimes age can come into it when the hormones change and a different type of pill or contraceptive device is needed.

I'm gla your Dr is following up on this issue.

I’m 34.

I’m glad she’s following it up too, I just wish in my head that her wanting to follow up didn’t compute as “SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG ETC”

I agree with what WM said. Additionally, since it's brown discharge, that usually indicates old blood, not new bleeding. Anything that can bump the cervix, including intercourse and orgasm, can cause this old blood to be leaked into the vaginal canal. It's very common.

I'm sure your doc is following up as a doctor doing a thorough job. Nothing in what you said makes me think that the doc is concerned.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I am trying to stay calm and not spiral but am finding it very hard! I’m trying to use logic that it could be anything and many of those things can be treated etc.

Of course the thoughts sneak in that it’s OC, EC or any other kind of C!

I’m up to date with my smears, and they’ve been clear. I believe I have some cervical erosion due to being on the pill for awhile. The doc asked me if I was up to date when I asked her if I should be concerned about it being something scary like cancer.

Well, discharge is very common with cervical erosion/ectropion.

I called the nurse today to get my swab results back and they were clear. I talked to her a bit about how anxious I was and asked if my dr could give me a phone consult.

She rang back (nurse) and had spoken to my doctor and said not to worry but to have a follow up appt in a month which I booked then.

I said I was scared of it being something really bad and she said if doc thought it was she would have me back in right away.

Trying to get comfort from this!

That's great news. You just have to work on accepting it.

What do you normally do when your HA gets bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information