Thread: Another panic attack!

Another panic attack!

Occasionally I get this fizzy/bubbly/gunky chest feeling that I'm 99% sure is caused by acid reflux. But, when my anxiety is present it almost always causes a panic attack. I cannot kick it tonight!! It makes me feel like my chest is tightening, then I panic and make it worse. Then it makes me feel like I have to constantly clear my throat, which also just becomes a nervous habit. Oy. I've tried tums, yogurt, laying down, sitting up, drinking water, drinking tea, etc... and I can't kick it so the panic won't subside. Anxiety is really a bitch.

Re: Another panic attack!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I can relate to what you are going through. At the moment I am practising meditation to help with my anxiety and one of the things that has helped me is to practise non reactivity to sensations and emotions.

What I do with guidance through the app I use is lay down, take a few deep breaths and starting from the head and working your way down through the body is to just notice what you feel without judgement or reaction. For example if you have an itch on your arm rather than jump to scratch it, stay with it, and when you simply notice the sensation you come to see that these things come and go. Sensations are always changing and if you see them without reacting they really aren't as bad as they seem.

Are you seeking help for your panic attacks i.e CBT or counselling?

Thanks, Graceski, that's a really great suggestion. I have health anxiety, so a mindful meditation that focuses on feeling and accepting sensations would probably be extremely helpful for me.

I do have a therapist and my anxiety has been under control for over a year now. It's just perked back up due to some longer-term back pain/sciatica, unfortunately. I've already booked an appointment with her to try and nip this relapse in the bud! I hadn't had a panic attack in over a year until this week when I've had at least 3.

Thread Information