Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here been on Mirt long term? Say 5-10 years or more?

Anyone on here been on Mirt long term? Say 5-10 years or more?

Just curious, and interested to hear from anyone who has been on it for a long time.

I am finding the problem with the internet is people tend to post when things are going wrong, not when something is working, and I am just looking for some comfort that there are people out there for whom this med has worked for years.

Having had such a rough time coming off and on SSRIs in the past, I would like to mentally get myself ok with the idea of just relaxing and staying on this for the foreseeable future.

At the moment, I just keep seeing things about poop-outs, joint pain, lowered white blood cell counts and all the rest, which is not helping my attempts at positivity!

thanks

Re: Anyone on here been on Mirt long term? Say 5-10 years or more?

I've been on this medication for over 5 years, with a short break when a GP decided to change the medication to Fluoxetine (I won't explain why, as it was a stupid decision and never one I'll go with again!) about 2 years ago. I'm currently on 30mg, and there is no plan to take me off the medication, as I cannot cope without it in my system.

I still get some anxiety symptoms, and my OCD thoughts are always there, but the medication allows me to be in control of these and I can get on with my life. Otherwise I love (if that's the right word) this medication.

I cannot take SSRIs due to a heart condition, and mirt works well for me.

Thanks! Good to hear that. I am hopeful that it keeps working for me - it does not seem to be a cure-all, but just helps to dial the anxiety and depression down enough to make them manageable, and help with sleep enough to mean that I don't fall into those anxiety/insomnia spirals...

15 years - still working - in good health, weight normal.

Had ups and downs certainly, but all to do with the tiresome realities of 'life' rather than the meds.

It is a mistake to think that any med can shield you from that. You can be on the most powerful anti anxiety med going, but still get freaked out by a sabre tooth tiger, as it were. Similarly, you can be on the best anti-D going, but it won't stop you feeling down about a bad thing happening, like being a victim of crime, death of loved one, etc.

They can't solve everything - but they can help.

A lot of people have been on mirt for a long time and are doing fine; no reason why you couldn't be one of them.

Albert

Thanks Albert - much appreciated - and I completely agree - there is no "magic pill" to have us skipping happily down the street every day.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingAlbert View Post
    15 years - still working - in good health, weight normal.

Had ups and downs certainly, but all to do with the tiresome realities of 'life' rather than the meds.

It is a mistake to think that any med can shield you from that. You can be on the most powerful anti anxiety med going, but still get freaked out by a sabre tooth tiger, as it were. Similarly, you can be on the best anti-D going, but it won't stop you feeling down about a bad thing happening, like being a victim of crime, death of loved one, etc.

They can't solve everything - but they can help.

A lot of people have been on mirt for a long time and are doing fine; no reason why you couldn't be one of them.

Albert
    I find this post spot on and gives a good understanding of this drug, it wont cure you and take all the anxiety away but it can let you live.

Thanks - much appreciated.

My only issue at the moment is restless legs - seems to start about an hour or so after taking the pill and lasts for 1-2hrs. I had the same thing when I was on Prozac, and it stopped when I came off the med, so clearly related to that.

Will try taking the pill just before bed, to see if I can fall asleep before the restless legs. If that does not work, maybe take it even earlier to try and get them out of the way before bed!

The only drug that ever worked for me too and a bunch of others that i have talked to have said the same... . my friend took it for 6 years before it stopped working for him. then he switched to trazadone. glad to hear some success stories of Remeron, as I have tried many medications and none have been able to help me like Remeron. Aside from the side effect sleepiness and wanting to eat more I have no complaints. For me it has been a very good drug. In time the sleepiness does get better, but if it does not you can ask your psychiatrist for a stimulant , and as far as the eating, I was underweight so it helped in that department. I try to exercise 3 times a week..

Glad to hear it has helped many out there!!

Thanks. It is good to hear some positive stories, as much tends to be negative, just due to the nature of the internet.

It has stopped working for me in terms of sleep, so I am struggling a bit with insomnia again, but I certainly think it is helping a bit with the anxiety and depression as I think I would usually feel much worse than I do on so little sleep. I don't think I am really having any side effects otherwise. Weight gain does not seem to be a problem, though I do watch what I eat and exercise 3 or 4 times a week.

I am almost at the 4 month mark, so it is still early days, but hopefully things will improve re sleep and I will get back on track.

I've been on it for 8 years, the last 2 at 45mg. It has worked well for me, yes i have gained some weight but i consider that a small price to pay.
    My doc has however got me to taper down to 30mg to see if i get any improvement.
    Overall i've been happy with mirtazapine, and if i'm on for the rest of my life then so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information