Thread: Panic attacks with hiatal hernia, GERD and Gastritis

Panic attacks with hiatal hernia, GERD and Gastritis

Hi,
    Several months ago I was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia, GERD and Gastritis, but before doing gastroscopy I've done all tests for heart, lungs, liver, kidney and everything was in complete order. I started test because I had constant nausea and bloated stomach that leads to have difficulty in breathing, high heart pulse and tightness in my chests. I know my symptoms and I was relating them to my diagnosis, but 5-6 times in last 2 weeks I have experienced tachycardia and difficult breathing so bad that I thought that I'm gonna have heart attack or stroke, and I finished 3 times on ER... In ER after confirming that everything comes from my Stomach and that I was experiencing A Panic Attacks and injecting Reglan and Diazepam they sent me home and I was fine until another episode starts, and I start to think what if it's not a stomach this time, what If now is my heart or lungs, and the heart starts to pound fastar and fastar, the berthing is again difficult and I race to the ER again and I'm so embarrassed after.
    Another thing now is that I started to have phobias of traveling outside the town or going on places like mountains, beach etc, where there are no hospitals near.
    What if I havr that situation and no hospital os near me? I'm embarrassed that I write this but I started thinking like this...

My question if anyone can help and share any ideas and opinions is: Do I developed some mental disorder like Panic Disorder or something, any advice how to deal with this and is there any hope that I'll start living my old life again.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and replays.

Re: Panic attacks with hiatal hernia, GERD and Gastritis

Have they given you an ECG to test your heart? This can all be reflux and GERD but hopefully they've given you a basic heart test? Your experience is very familiar to me. If it is just a combination of GERD and anxiety once you tackle these you will feel more confident about travelling. For GERD don't eat after 7pm in evening and try and eat smaller meals.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

If your symptoms don't clear might be worth trying something like the FODMAP diet to eliminate any possible food intolerances from the equation.

Re: Panic attacks with hiatal hernia, GERD and Gastritis

Hi, thanks for replay...
    Yes they have done ecg, Ultrasound examination of the heart, stress test on moving track, thyroid tests, basically every test before they sent my to gastroscopy... Everything was in normal ranges except in the stomach...
    Last night I was reading that there are test for food intolerance, and I'm planning to go today for appointment. They said that are testing intolerance on over 100 foods. So I'm gonna do this too.
    My point was that how easy is to develop some condition of fear and start avoiding almost everything besides you know that its not situation for get in to panic... And starting this I was found in some mind circle every day thinking about this and if it will happaen that fear again. But also I'll stop benzodiazepines and I think I'll try on mynown to deal with this phobias and fear...
    Thank you

Thread Information