Thread: MUMS suffering ptsd or health anxiety

Lightbulb MUMS suffering ptsd or health anxiety

I thought creating a post for this topic would be helpful not just for me, but for every other mum out there going through this hell. I will post my story and two others who are suffering the same thing. Something has happened tgeir child and it brought on health anxiety. Please feel free to share any experiences

1.)Hi, I just need some help I feel so alone.. I have been diagnosed with ptsd since the tragic accident my little girl, but in the last few month I’ve been told I have severe health anxiety that links with the ptsd and the tragic accident I witnessed. So I’ve been to hospital numerous of times for heart attack, brain tumour, brain anurysm. You name it I’ve got it. I’ve had break downs at the doctors I can’t sleep because I’m scared I’m going to die in my sleep.. I feel sick all day long, I check my pulse every other minute, I darent cough too hard just in case I have a brain anuyrism. Every little pain I get I convince my self this is it I’m dying. Is this all part of anxiety? And the ptsd? It’s awful I’m so drained.

2.) My healthy anxiety also started when i witnessed my son have a feberal convulsion. Its been nearly a year and i have been stuck in this horrible cycle. Like you i constantly think im going to have a heart attack or a brain tumour. I use to run to A&E probably 3 times a week to reassure myself by having an ECG.
    I could have a simple cold and i will think its sepsis or the start of menagitits. Its awful and i very lonely place to be in. I try to explain to people, can you imagine waking everyday to the thought your going to die. No one understands and tells me to calm down. Its not that easy as you know. I have extreme health anxiety, GAD, panic disorder and OCD. Life is challenging. But we are not alone ❤❤

3.) My daughter 3 year old had a fertable cunvulsion also 4 weeks ago. That's when all of my insanity started. I was fine for the first week. And when she was in hospital over night. I sat there fine then tears started flooding down. My partner looked at me and said hold up why are you crying, she's okay. And I said I know I know. But I couldn't stop. I'd hold it together for a while then cry again when no one was around or looking. "The doctors exact words were, did it look like she was dying" and it did. Thats what i thought was happening. >. < i sat up the whole night watching the monitor in fear anything was going to happen. Then the next morning they discharged her. I didn't feel ready to leave the hospital yet I was still really afraid and worried. When she came home I sat up checking on her constantly. I austen her room temperature every hour making sure it was at a normal temp. Then a week or so later I was hit with these health anxiety problems. I'm convinced I've a tumor or am about to take an anurisim. It's so scary every night I fear going to sleep. Every day I'm like a zombie with no emotions or smile.i always think somethings about to happen me. And today while walking home with my daughter it started lashing and I had to carry her in the rain up home. But I noticed myself panicing about her temperature and afraid she was going to take another one. When I got home I went up stairs and again burst into tears. And Google. "Am I going insane" I feel like I am sad

Re: MUMS suffering ptsd or health anxiety

HI. I also have PTSD. I found the body of my best friend almost four years ago. I went through some traumatic grief counseling and attended a PTSD group for those like me.

From what I've learned, I can tell you that health anxiety is a very common form of anxiety experienced by people who have PTSD, especially for those who have suffered a loss through something medical or illness-related. Others just get health anxiety as their form of anxiety.

When you experience a traumatic event, your mind and body are under a lot of stress. These stress chemicals basically make you go on high-alert. Then when the stress is over, your mind knows it's passed, but your body still remains on high alert, producing these stress chemicals and telling your mind to watch out, but the danger has passed. However, since the chemicals are still coursing through your body, your mind says, "Hey, maybe I should be looking for danger?" And so it goes and looks for trouble. For some people like me, the trouble is things like, "What if my husband gets in a car accident?" For other people, it's HA, like, "Oh, crap, what if my headache is a brain tumor?" In either case, it's irrational, but that's how PTSD effects our mind/body patterns. We remain on alert and on hypervigilance for ___________ apocalypse or disaster that is most unlikely to happen.

Are you seeing anyone for your PTSD?

Hey, my story is the third one in the discription, I thought she was dying and it shocked me so so bad. The tears only kicked in a few hours after.
    I jump and break into tears when I hear ambulance. And anything and everything spooks me.
    I really want it to go away now. I feel sick to the stomach and can't get to sleep. Every time I try I jump.
    Eugh feel sick thinking about any of it.
    Roll on recovery. I'm refered to a phyciatric consultatant who will hopefully help me out and get me into cbt. And maybe help me out with a diagnosis on why I'm so screwed up. 😣😣

It definitely sounds like PTSD and the hyper vigilance that goes with it. A few weeks after the death of my friend I would get freaked out by any sirens I heard as well. I would make all of my family members check in with me constantly. I was afraid to let my pets out of the house, etc.

Therapy is a must. If you can, get somebody experienced in working with those who have PTSD.

My doctor is so rude and unhelpful. I'm convinced something is wrong with my brain and the worry of it has me sick to my stomach. The waiting list for an mri Is 90 weeks !!!! That's insane I rang my doctor back today to tell him about the waiting list and he said he can't do anything. Wich is balls. He can ring up and get the appointment pushed up again I'd he needs too. I've even tried telling myself I have health anxiety ! But I'm never worried about my health. I'm worried this one time. And it's been 4 weeks waiting yo hear from them. How the heck will I manage a year and a bit... cannot believe the nhs system and the horrible doctors within it. It might be health anxiety but I've never felt like this before I genuinely feel like im gunna die soon. :( I don't know if I think that because I saw my daughters seziure or if there genuinely is something up with me. Just to save you wondering. I've been really dizzy. I can't focus on anything. Extremely tierd. Headaces. Sore neck. Shooting pains throughout my head. And tension headaces and according to the doctor "migranes" all from someone who never had headaces before. I used to be so calm. Now Im a ball of nerves, I can't do a thing ���� & very sorry to hear about your friend x

I to have ptsd. I was diagnosed when I was 14. I was kept hostage in a house and beaten and raped continuously. I'm 32 now. Have 2 children. Katie is 12 and Nathan is 7. I have what you would call a normal life. Nice home, 2 beautiful kids, nice car, money in the bank ect. Now I fluctuate throughout my life with my anxiety. I have moments of great times then bam it hits me. For the past 8 weeks iv been suffering with horrendous headaches and constant dizziness. Convinced myself I was dieing. Had an mri which was normal so now I'm thinking I have some underlying disease and it's a matter of time before I die. As I write this I have a swooshing sound in my ears/head. Like pressure. And it's deliberating. Ruining my life. I wake in the mornings feeling VERY down and I do think of suicide yet right now I feel I'm still in some kind of control. I'm not living. I'm existing. My heart pounds out of my chest the exact moment I feel a symptom. So believe you me I'm living this with you. I keep telling myself iv done this a million times yet it still scares me As though it's the first. Life is very hard. I don't know what iv done to deserve this I really don't. Nobody takes me serious and as I said earlier I'm convinced this will kill me. The feeling of swaying and a strange feeling inside my head. Terrifying. But please don't think you are alone. Your far from it. X

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shannonmegaw1 View Post
    My doctor is so rude and unhelpful. I'm convinced something is wrong with my brain and the worry of it has me sick to my stomach. The waiting list for an mri Is 90 weeks !!!! That's insane I rang my doctor back today to tell him about the waiting list and he said he can't do anything. Wich is balls. He can ring up and get the appointment pushed up again I'd he needs too. I've even tried telling myself I have health anxiety ! But I'm never worried about my health. I'm worried this one time. And it's been 4 weeks waiting yo hear from them. How the heck will I manage a year and a bit... cannot believe the nhs system and the horrible doctors within it. It might be health anxiety but I've never felt like this before I genuinely feel like im gunna die soon. :( I don't know if I think that because I saw my daughters seziure or if there genuinely is something up with me. Just to save you wondering. I've been really dizzy. I can't focus on anything. Extremely tierd. Headaces. Sore neck. Shooting pains throughout my head. And tension headaces and according to the doctor "migranes" all from someone who never had headaces before. I used to be so calm. Now Im a ball of nerves, I can't do a thing ���� & very sorry to hear about your friend x
    Just realised our posts are very similar x

No, although it may seem from the lack of PTSD posts on this site that we are alone, none of us are.

Sammie, have you sought therapy for your PTSD? I would not be here without therapy and grief counseling. Even after 3 years of intensive counseling, sometimes I get the suicidal thoughts and the feelings of not being safe. I've learned that the worse the trauma, the more the toll on the body.

Have either of you read The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk? It's one of the best books I've read on PTSD. It explains why so much of our problems manifest themselves in physical symptoms.

I also PM'd you ladies.

Thread Information