Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rabies concern but hear out my post please.

Re: Rabies concern but hear out my post please.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    Do you know the dog and its owner? If the dog is alive and healthy a week after such a incident it does not have rabies and you are 100% safe.
    Besides; I thought all domestic dogs in the US were required to be vacinated? You have all possible good odds with you.
    They are required but some people are irresponsible so it's possible some aren't? I have no choice but to just accept i'm likely fine because the shots aren't gonna be covered through workmans comp most likely. (doubtful they are needed.

Doctor said teeth would have had to go into my skin or parts of mouth make contact with my skin but since I was wearing a glove, the low risk gets even lower because of that. I suppose that's true? I mean, you can shine light through the glove but it's very small holes as part of the design of glove.

You. Don't. Have. Rabies. There are no "what ifs" or "yeah buts" or anything else (.) Period

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You. Don't. Have. Rabies. There are no "what ifs" or "yeah buts" or anything else (.) Period

Positive thoughts

Yup. Gloves + no broken skin = NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yup. Gloves + no broken skin = NOTHING.
    Not sure on broken skin part. It's kind of a tricky thing because while my "wound" is small, it's hard to tell if it counts as broken skin or not.

Most likely nothing. Once I get to 10 posts, I can upload the photo of the initial wound from the bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaster View Post
    Not sure on broken skin part. It's kind of a tricky thing because while my "wound" is small, it's hard to tell if it counts as broken skin or not.

Most likely nothing. Once I get to 10 posts, I can upload the photo of the initial wound from the bite.
    Nobody needs a photo. You don’t have rabies. Period. What are you looking for here? You’ve gotten reassurance from Drs, from here. At this point what’s going to convince you?

They are required but some people are irresponsible so it's possible some aren't? I have no choice but to just accept i'm likely fine because the shots aren't gonna be covered through workmans comp most likely. (doubtful they are needed.

Doctor said teeth would have had to go into my skin or parts of mouth make contact with my skin but since I was wearing a glove, the low risk gets even lower because of that. I suppose that's true? I mean, you can shine light through the glove but it's very small holes as part of the design of glove.
    Maybe one way to feel good about it is that there can be severe adverse reactions to the shots, so at some point the risk of adverse events needs to be weighed against the risk of rabies. Your doctor is thinking the risk from the vaccine is worse in your case.

I have read a bit about this, and there are epidemiologists who have studied the issue and they conclude that people are over-vaccinated for rabies exposures in the US. About 1/3 to 40% of people that get vaccinated didn't really need to be. Dog bites are a huge part of this number, and owned dogs are much lower risk than if you had been bitten by a stray or wild animal.

I understand that low risk doesn't mean no risk, and you are going to have to come to peace with that. I have been in that position before (discovered a bat in the house in March, one child received PEP, the rest of us did not) and it is hard but I did find peace about it).
    Last edited by NervUs; 31-07-18 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    Maybe one way to feel good about it is that there can be severe adverse reactions to the shots, so at some point the risk of adverse events needs to be weighed against the risk of rabies. Your doctor is thinking the risk from the vaccine is worse in your case.

I have read a bit about this, and there are epidemiologists who have studied the issue and they conclude that people are over-vaccinated for rabies exposures in the US. About 1/3 to 40% of people that get vaccinated didn't really need to be. Dog bites are a huge part of this number, and owned dogs are much lower risk than if you had been bitten by a stray or wild animal.

I understand that low risk doesn't mean no risk, and you are going to have to come to peace with that. I have been in that position before (discovered a bat in the house in March, one child received PEP, the rest of us did not) and it is hard but I did find peace about it).
    You or someone on this post mentioned checking the county database for cases of rabies, right? I was curious what that site is. Not that i'm convinced that I have it anymore, but would give me peace of mind if the animal isn't on there.

I doubt the owner and dog will ever come back to this Walmart due to fear of potential trouble or whatnot. Unfortunate that someone can't be responsible enough to care about the victim at all.

You or someone on this post mentioned checking the county database for cases of rabies, right? I was curious what that site is. Not that i'm convinced that I have it anymore, but would give me peace of mind if the animal isn't on there.

I doubt the owner and dog will ever come back to this Walmart due to fear of potential trouble or whatnot. Unfortunate that someone can't be responsible enough to care about the victim at all.
    You cam google your state , confirmed rabies, and year you want to see. EVery state publishes their own record. It will be compiled by your state's dept of health. Mine published by species and by county.

Don't get obsessive about checking! It will help you put it in perspective though.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    You cam google your state , confirmed rabies, and year you want to see. EVery state publishes their own record. It will be compiled by your state's dept of health. Mine published by species and by county.
    That got me curious. I looked up my state and in 2017 there was 1 case of human rabies and she got it while in India. There hasn't been a domestic case in over 20 years! As far as animals testing positive? 1 dog out of the millions and millions of dogs in the state (and that was a stray).

Anyway... It just puts things in perspective and points out the reality.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't even see any statistics or options for 2018 so I guess there hasn't been any thus far. You'd think a site would put up the year as a placeholder anyways and when you click on it, it'll say no cases reported so far.

But yeah, I feel better and better on it by the day. Finding this message board has shown me that i really am alright.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information