Thread: Terrified of Rabies. I know that there are many posts like this, but I feel crazy.

Terrified of Rabies. I know that there are many posts like this, but I feel crazy.

So, I have a somewhat recent history of severe anxiety. I have jumped from ALS (my first and most recent BAD ONE), to a chordoma, to lymphoma, to brain cancer, and now...

I feel like I have rabies.

It started a while back when a friend of mine pointed out that there were bats in his garage inside of which we were hanging out and listening to music. His dog excitedly scratched me, and that worried me for a little while until I realized that it was ridiculous: his dog is perfectly healthy. Even so, Rabies isn't typically spread by scratching. I brushed it off and was fine for a while.

Next, I was walking at a baseball field about a week and a half ago, and my girlfriend pointed out that some bats flew out of a nearby building. After walking by a tree with pointy leaves, I felt a prick on the back of my neck and became increasingly worried. Since I've discounted that scenario as unbelievable, I've been obsessed thinking I've been bitten at some point or another. I felt a tingly, prickly sensation in my elbow a few days ago, and that has just absolutely ruined my life. Since then, I've felt pain in my arm that seems to have traveled upward over the course of a few days and is now in my shoulder and neck area. I feel like when I press on my spine, it hurts, and my brain is trying to tell me that Rabies has reached my spinal cord, and that I don't have very long left. I'm scared that I'm going to die, even though nothing has happened to me.

I feel like an absolute nutcase, and that depresses me. I know that I'm being absolutely ridiculous, and if I told anyone, they would think I'm crazy. I almost considered making up a bite so that I could go to the doctor and get a vaccine just to ease my mind. Part of me thinks that's ridiculous and unfair to myself, and the other part thinks that it's too late for me and that it doesn't matter anyway because my days are numbered. I feel like soon I will be manufacturing symptoms like trouble swallowing, fatigue, and mental symptoms like confusion, which will further my panic.

This is the worst bout of health anxiety that I've ever had. I just want to live a normal life. I want to be able to have a job and be a partner to my girlfriend. I have started taking Lexapro for my anxiety, and have scheduled an appointment for a psychiatrist later this month. I hope I can get this figured out and just be able to enjoy my life while I have it.

Re: Terrified of Rabies. I know that there are many posts like this, but I feel crazy

Respectfully, I suggest you search and read the rabies threads (there are many here) and READ THIS as many times as you need to. Don't be surprised by the replies as this is a hot and somewhat frustrating topic at the moment.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Terrified of Rabies. I know that there are many posts like this, but I feel crazy

I read the stickied thread, as well as many threads about the topic here. I just feel like the problem with health anxiety is that you always believe that you are the exception to the statistics. I know that nothing could be wrong with me, but I just feel like I can't ground myself in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Respectfully, I suggest you search and read the rabies threads (there are many here) and READ THIS as many times as you need to. Don't be surprised by the replies as this is a hot and somewhat frustrating topic at the moment.

Positive thoughts
    Seem like no one cares about the sticky thread; they all believe they are the exception and there are yes but no buts and so on.

OP, seek help for your health anxiety!

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terrified_Alex View Post
    I read the stickied thread, as well as many threads about the topic here. I just feel like the problem with health anxiety is that you always believe that you are the exception to the statistics.

EXCACTLY! You nailed that point perfectly yourself now!

l have no words main reason is you wont listen you have rabies anyway

I tried and tried, and I promise this will be my last post ever on a rabies thread.

If the statistic of between 1 and 3 human rabies cases in a year in the US don't give you comfort, nothing will. You literally have a better chance of being eaten by a shark while going for a celebratory swim after winning a pile of cash playing power ball, and getting repeatedly struck by lightning.

Statistically speaking, that is actually a true statement.

Do you still have the fear about the other diseases you thought you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Terrified_Alex View Post
    I read the stickied thread, as well as many threads about the topic here. I just feel like the problem with health anxiety is that you always believe that you are the exception to the statistics. I know that nothing could be wrong with me, but I just feel like I can't ground myself in reality.
    Yes, this. I too have read that there are no confirmed cases of rabies transmission from bunnies, but somehow I believe that I will be the first one due to some weird chain of unfortunate coincidences.

These are old threads. No doubt the member has survived and moved on from the fear.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information