Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple ct scan radiation before 25 yrs old :(

Multiple ct scan radiation before 25 yrs old :(

I went to the doctors again and she ordered to have another head ct scan and probably an abdominal one :( I already had a head ct scan when I was 17. And like three or four spine xrays because of my scoliosis since I was 11. I probably have like 7 msv of radiation and they sayy you can't have more than 25 msv in a lifetime! A head ct has like 3 and an abdominal one like 10 msv! I'm only 22, not even half of 50 years old and I'm terrified!

I can't have mris because they're not affordable to me right now, feel so lost and scared and tired of these situations always worrying my family. They're probably tired of me.

Has anyone here had multiple ct scans at such young age? Thanks in advance for your replies x

Re: Multiple ct scan radiation before 25 yrs old :(

Who said you can't have more than 25 in a lifetime?

Do you fly as you get more radiation on a plane to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

During cancer treatment, I had radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough radiation to burn the skin off my neck and turn my throat into a red mushy mess, rendering me unable to swallow. Not to mention before each treatment, I had a CT scan to help aim the radiation.

Bottom line? This is an irrational fear. My question is, why, at your age are you getting all these tests? At least to me, having read your post history, they're unnecessary.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Who said you can't have more than 25 in a lifetime?

Do you fly as you get more radiation on a plane to be honest.
    Hello Nicola thanks for answering x. No I have never flown I'm scared of flying too.

Well a little bit of google research took to a medical article stating that. I feel a bit stupid for that

I had 5 abdominal CTs when I ended up in the ER for a necrotic fibroid (benign uteran tumor). Some before surgery and some after. Occasionally a spot of anxiety pops up about the radiation, but I can't unring that bell! There are all kinds of things we're exposed to ever day that can tick up our cancer chances by minute percentages. You can't change the tests you've had, but talk with your doctor to be sure the CTs you get moving forward are absolutely warranted. And, if you're doing them only because of anxiety, stop.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Oh, and those scans were when I was 27. I'm 35 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    During cancer treatment, I had radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough radiation to burn the skin off my neck and turn my throat into a red mushy mess, rendering me unable to swallow. Not to mention before each treatment, I had a CT scan to help aim the radiation.

Bottom line? This is an irrational fear. My question is, why, at your age are you getting all these tests? At least to me, having read your post history, they're unnecessary.

Positive thoughts
    Hi fishmanpa thanks for your answer. Sorry you have to go through all that, hope you continue to stay healthy it might not have been easy but I really like your attitude I know that optimism always helps x

It's because I always get headaches and every year they change pattern or I get a new kind. And I always push my doctor to order these test cause I fear they're missing something out. Right now I feel my head is gonna explode, there's too much pressure and this really weird pain I feel like I'm gonna pass out and I'm scared it's an aneurysm or tumor.

The abdominal ct scan it's because I have bloating and pelvic pain and those are symptoms of ovarian cancer or bowel cancer.

Sorry If I sound too dramatic, I really don't know how to control this, and the fear has already taken over my life. My family don't take me serious anymore :( It's hard cause I can't accept that this is just my anxiety and depression :(

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    I had 5 abdominal CTs when I ended up in the ER for a necrotic fibroid (benign uteran tumor). Some before and some after. Occasionally a spot of anxiety pops up about the radiation, but I can't unring that bell! There are all kinds of things we're exposed to ever day that can tick up our cancer chances by minute percentages. You can't change the tests you've had, but talk with your doctor to be sure the CTs you get moving forward are absolutely warranted. And, if you're doing them only because of anxiety, stop.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Oh, and those scans were when I was 27. I'm 35 now.
    Hi Erin, glad it wasn't something bad x I know right and people who had never gotten any ct scans also get cancer. But somehow, I can't stop having this disastrous vision of me getting cancer because my own fault when I never had it in the past and just because my behavior I would hace caused it . It really scares me.

I also fear that when i go for them it will show something serious so I feel trapped in this :(

Are you treating your anxiety? This is what your doctor should be dealing with instead of ordering more and more tests. All the symptoms you mention - abdominal and pelvic pain and headaches can be caused by anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by elle95 View Post
    I went to the doctors again and she ordered to have another head ct scan and probably an abdominal one :( I already had a head ct scan when I was 17. And like three or four spine xrays because of my scoliosis since I was 11. I probably have like 7 msv of radiation and they sayy you can't have more than 25 msv in a lifetime! A head ct has like 3 and an abdominal one like 10 msv! I'm only 22, not even half of 50 years old and I'm terrified!

I can't have mris because they're not affordable to me right now, feel so lost and scared and tired of these situations always worrying my family. They're probably tired of me.

Has anyone here had multiple ct scans at such young age? Thanks in advance for your replies x
    So, i am not sure where you got those numbers, but here is a great info-graphic for you with all the numbers you could possibly want to know: https://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-.../radiation.png Some key points - - A chest X-Ray averages at 0.02 mSv - A chest CT scan averages at 5.8 mSv - A worker's YEARLY limit is 50mSv - The lowest one YEAR dose clearly linked to cancer risk (not guaranteed cancer, just a measurable risk) is 100 mSv Aside from all that.. you are treating radiation as if it were a gas tank.. once its full, you are done for good, which is not how it works. Ionizing radiation, *IN LARGE ENOUGH DOSES* can damage cells and DNA structures, which can be a cause of cancer (or simply death in a large enough dose). So long as your DNA has not been damaged (thus replicated into new cells), there will be a point where your body would be.... unaware.. that you have ever encountered additional radiation (again, refer to the chart, and remember we ALL get background dosing, well in excess of total 25mSv by the time we are 10).

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Are you treating your anxiety? This is what your doctor should be dealing with instead of ordering more and more tests. All the symptoms you mention - abdominal and pelvic pain and headaches can be caused by anxiety.
    I stopped going to the therapist I only went to three sessions maybe because I thought I could sort it on my own since I study psychology but it's not working. Also since I depend on my family, they don't believe in psychology or psychiatrists they say I just need to go to church to get better.

It's me actually who push my doctors to order medical procedures, when one doesn't want to I stop going to them cause I feel no one takes me serious anymore.

I knkw anxiety can cause lots of symptoms but I'm getting too many and that always makes me think the worst

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    So, i am not sure where you got those numbers, but here is a great info-graphic for you with all the numbers you could possibly want to know: https://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-.../radiation.png Some key points - - A chest X-Ray averages at 0.02 mSv - A chest CT scan averages at 5.8 mSv - A worker's YEARLY limit is 50mSv - The lowest one YEAR dose clearly linked to cancer risk (not guaranteed cancer, just a measurable risk) is 100 mSv Aside from all that.. you are treating radiation as if it were a gas tank.. once its full, you are done for good, which is not how it works. Ionizing radiation, *IN LARGE ENOUGH DOSES* can damage cells and DNA structures, which can be a cause of cancer (or simply death in a large enough dose). So long as your DNA has not been damaged (thus replicated into new cells), there will be a point where your body would be.... unaware.. that you have ever encountered additional radiation (again, refer to the chart, and remember we ALL get background dosing, well in excess of total 25mSv by the time we are 10).
    Hi Shadowhawk thanks x That is way too much physics for me hahaaha. Well if it's 100 msv a year then that calms me a bit. I can't remember the site but it said only one ct scan of the head is three years of radiation for a person who has not had it so that really scared me

Quote Originally Posted by elle95 View Post

Hi Shadowhawk thanks x That is way too much physics for me hahaaha. Well if it's 100 msv a year then that calms me a bit. I can't remember the site but it said only one ct scan of the head is three years of radiation for a person who has not had it so that really scared me
    Eh, forget the physics (actually, its more biology since its DNA, but ill go with it. ), and look at the numbers (with sources cited if you care to check). A chest CT is averaged at 5.8, and normal background for a year at 3.6. So a more powerful chest CT is not even 2 years worth, let alone the head CT. Of course, you would have to have almost 10 of them to reach your industrial yearly limit, and it doesn't sound like you have hit that in your life.

Think positive, and stop stressing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information