Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Quit ocd an forum

Re: Quit ocd an forum

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    The other topic is open again so I apologise for the confusion I shall post over there as that’s my current issue
    It's a reoccurring issue. We've discussed it all many times on both the long running OCD thread and the GAD one. Has all that advice now been lost? Are we back at the start again?

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...-basket/page63
    https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...minated/page30

Just to confirm my account has indeed gone from ocd uk so I was serious about quitting forums. I won’t be going back over there.

You almost sound quite proud of it Phil? Why is that?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You almost sound quite proud of it Phil? Why is that?
    No I wouldn’t say proud. I am actually annoyed that I was forced to quit I feel they were wrong to close my topic I dislike there approach saying a post is a compulsion, pushing exposure therapy, everything is about pushing these ideas down your throat thinking they know best. They feel being harsh is best but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. If it means an end to posting on forums so be it, nothing lasts forever it won’t stop me asking advice from others. You have to speak openly about mental health these days.

Had it not been for the chat room I’d be calling it quits here too but I may have to reconsider posting in future after my experience at ocd uk.

No I wouldn’t say proud. I am actually annoyed that I was forced to quit I feel they were wrong to close my topic I dislike there approach saying a post is a compulsion, pushing exposure therapy, everything is about pushing these ideas down your throat thinking they know best. They feel being harsh is best but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. If it means an end to posting on forums so be it, nothing lasts forever it won’t stop me asking advice from others. You have to speak openly about mental health these days.
    So back to saying that it was the other peoples fault for pushing advice onto you, advice which you ask for by posting on the forums.... Phil you have to take ownership of your illness, if you don't you will never improve. You are right it is good to speak openly about mental health BUT you also need to take on advice that is given to you and you need to act upon that advice.

and for the record.... I think posting on forums is definitely a compulsion for you too, which I have said before... posting is part of your OCD, You are not posting on the forums to gain advice but because it is a compulsion for you to do so as your OCD controls you. Which is why I think you get defensive when it is mentioned to you (This is just my opinion, take it or leave it)

Stop blaming others for you not recovering from your OCD..... the illness is yours and only you can do things to recover from it..... it isn't what other people, other forums do it is what YOU do to help YOURSELF
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 25-04-19 at 22:19.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    So back to saying that it was the other peoples fault for pushing advice onto you..... Phil you have to take ownership of your illness, if you don't you will never improve. You are right it is good to speak openly about mental health BUT you also need to take on advice that is given to you and you need to act upon that advice.

and for the record.... I think posting on forums is definitely a compulsion for you too, which I have said before... posting a lot is part of your OCD
    The less I post the better I am. I have went months without posting. However when my ocd has been bad I’ve had to talk about it it might seem a compulsion but if I don’t talk I get myself worked up into a panic and feel I’m going mad. By posting it actually reduces my anxiety as I can hear opinions.

Why don't you talk to people in real life rather than post on a forum then? I mean partner/mum/dad/friends

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Had it not been for the chat room I’d be calling it quits here too but I may have to reconsider posting in future after my experience at ocd uk.
    You've had tons of support on here too, more than many, phil.

The less I post the better I am. I have went months without posting. However when my ocd has been bad I’ve had to talk about it it might seem a compulsion but if I don’t talk I get myself worked up into a panic and feel I’m going mad. By posting it actually reduces my anxiety as I can hear opinions.
    Doesn't that tell you that compulsions are bad for your mental health? It's just that you need to learn how to handle things differently when it intensifies and you feel you can't stop yourself.

I've asked you a couple of times already if you accept this basic fact that compulsions reinforce your obsessions. Without accepting this how can you work on challenging them? I've seen you actually stop compulsions too so you can do it but also get the impression you expect a release from doing them so you can feel better without realising you don't need them at all.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information