Thread: Random blood sugar test showed my blood sugar at 10.8

Random blood sugar test showed my blood sugar at 10.8

Hi guys, I randomly did a blood sugar test and it showed my blood sugar at 10.8 which is 190! I’m terrified. I ate three hours ago and I had watermelon an hour ago. Could it be that? I’m scared that it’s way too high

I’m not diabetic or been diagnosed. But I like to check my blood sugar every so often. Usually it’s betwewn 5-7. In so scared.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

I just checked it again and it’s now at 8.5 so it’s going down.

Re: Random blood sugar test showed my blood sugar at 10.8

First of all, self testing is a terrible idea unless directed by a doctor. Secondly that type of test requires an 8-12 hour fast for accurate results.

I self test because my anxiety is around low blood sugar so I thought it would help me break the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by jennclark View Post
    I self test because my anxiety is around low blood sugar so I thought it would help me break the cycle.
    I understand, but it’s just like other forms of self testing or googling, etc, you’ll always find something that confirms your fears. Go to the doctor once a year, get blood work done, and it’s it’s good, you’re ok for another year.

Watermelon is very high GI and will spike your insulin a lot.

You are checking something without medical supervision at random, and therefore the result is meaningless. You've already checked again and it's going down.

You need to stop checking. If that is what your fear is based around, you will eventually come across a reading that feeds your fear more. It sounds like you don't have the information required to truly understand what the readings mean because you are panicking over a completely normal bodily reaction to a food that has a high glycemic index.

Do you have a medical reason to self test, and have you been instructed to by a doctor? I have been told to take my own blood pressure twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I have a condition which requires very strict monitoring.

And it can be a great source of anxiety, so much so that I asked my cardiologist if I could cut back the amount of checking, which he agreed to. I am good with it now, actually, and do not mind the self testing, but without a medical reason to do so, I would HIGHLY advise against it, and worrying about low blood sugar from anxiety is not a medical reason to do so. It is really no safer--and in some cases worse--than googling for folks with HA.

I agree with others. Unless a doctor instructed you to test yourself you should absolutely stop. I would go as far as recommending you throw away your test kit. As long as your engaging you anxiety it won't go away. You're feeding the beast!!

My brother is diabetic and high and low blood sugars aren't subtle. If you were suffering from hypoglycemia or developing diabetes there would be extremely clear signs and symptoms. Heck, I diagnosed my cat with diabetes when he started drinking his whole water bowl in a matter of hours and filling the litter box with pee way faster than normal.

Thank you all for the responses!
    I’m going to try to cut down on the amount of times I test my blood sugar. I usually get yearly blood tests done which also look at my blood sugar levels and they’re always fine. It just really scared me to see it that high since I’ve never seen it like that before!

Also - anxiety can raise your blood sugar. I learned that when my cat got diabetes, haha. His blood sugar was 700 at the vet, but the highest it ever got at home was like 250.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Also - anxiety can raise your blood sugar. I learned that when my cat got diabetes, haha. His blood sugar was 700 at the vet, but the highest it ever got at home was like 250.
    Oh wow that’s interesting! Anxiety can do some pretty funny things!

Thread Information