Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried about skin cancer

Worried about skin cancer

Hey everyone,

I'm a 34 year old red headed male.

I've been on holiday this week camping with the family and on the first day although I'd been applying suncream multiple times, I got sun burn (didn't peel) on the back of my neck and upper arms. I've caught the sun throughout the years (gone a little pink throughout the summer) but for some reason this time round it's really freaked me out.

I have no moles on my body, but have a lot of freckles. I'm now worried that because of this sun burn I'm going to get skin cancer. I'm trying not to visit Dr Google with my worries, but suffering from HA, it's rather hard.

Can my freckles turn into melanomas? I've got a full head of hair, but I'm worried because I've never put suncream in my hair, I might have overlooked something.

I know there are other people on this forum with much more serious worries and problems, but I just wanted to get it out here as I don't really have anyone to talk to.

Re: Worried about skin cancer

This is not what you want to hear but, yes, you are at higher risk of skin cancer because of your complexion. It doesn't sound like you've been unsafe in the sun, or that you have to worry needlessly about something that might never happen. Just start getting regular skin checks at the dermatologist, and check yourself once a month for new moles or growths if you want (I don't do this religiously), and get any new marks/spots/bumps checked if they don't go away or go down in a month or two's time. Melanomas can develop in freckles, or they can just appear in an unmarked section of skin. No one is immune from melanoma, but your complexion makes you someone who should make skin checks part of your regular preventative health care. A lot of us are in the same boat!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I think the risk is more consistent with sun exposure rather than skin type. Dark-skinned people are just as much at risk even though they might not get sunburn like fair-skinned folk or have freckles.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I think every person, even skin cancer survivors, get a mild sunburn once a year or so. It is simply impossible to wear (right amount) of sunscreen all the time and to replenish it every hour or so.

However, sunburns should generally be avoided and skin should generally be checked regularly and well taken care of. Therefore, a yearly check by a dermatologist is in order. Doing that, you will put your mind to rest and, if, God forbid, anything sinister occurs, your doctor will be able to catch it on time.

Margaret Thatcher

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies - it's really appreciated

I'm trying to make an appointment at the doctors at the minute, but should I see someone who deals with moles etc. specifically?

Looking in the mirror this afternoon just makes me sad as I can see where I've burned my skin and hate myself for it. My arms are really freckly and they are a lot more dominant since I was burned which is making me freak out and try to check each one. I've got some larger clusters of freckles in my elbows, and they seem to be the same colour as my other freckles, but should I be looking for something different?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRed View Post
    but should I be looking for something different?
    Yes. You should be looking for something different to do, because nothing is more damaging to your sanity than self - checking and comparing what you see on your body with google images.

You are on the right track - you will made an appointment with a dermatologist (btw, that is the "mole doctor") and he will assess everything. Until than, live your life and wear sunscreen Do not google and do not self - check.

Margaret Thatcher

It's a good idea for someone with a light complexion and a lot of moles or freckles to get annual dermatology checks. While sun exposure generally can increase your risk, what my doctor has told me is that the real risk comes from very severe burns earlier in life. You won't get skin cancer today from a burn you got last weekend. Chances are your parents were good about sunscreen when you were a kid because of your light complexion.

Since you're not an expert, I would not check yourself at this moment of anxiety. If you want to have your skin checked you should see a dermatologist vs. a general doctor. They can look your skin over and easily notice anything that's abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRed View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies - it's really appreciated

I'm trying to make an appointment at the doctors at the minute, but should I see someone who deals with moles etc. specifically?

Looking in the mirror this afternoon just makes me sad as I can see where I've burned my skin and hate myself for it. My arms are really freckly and they are a lot more dominant since I was burned which is making me freak out and try to check each one. I've got some larger clusters of freckles in my elbows, and they seem to be the same colour as my other freckles, but should I be looking for something different?
    If your GP thinks anything is concerning they will give you a referral to the dermatologist. If not and you are still worried you can pay privately to have a full skin check in some parts of the UK. I’m not sure where you are put places like Nuffield or BUPA clinics or even some Boots stores. If you live somewhere like me (Cumbria) it’s a dead zone though and you’d have to travel The GP is likely to only look at the spots you point out so make sure to show them all the ones you are worried about.

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

Just a small clarification concerning statistics and skin cancers.

Approximately 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer during lifetime. Therefore, your lifetime risk of having skin cancer is 20%.

Approximately 1% of all skin cancers are melanomas. That means your lifetime risk of developing melanoma is 0.2%.

I am now doing the forbidden thing and browsing a melanoma awareness site. There it says: if you had 5 or more severe sunburns during your life, your risk of developing melanoma increases by 80%. That is where a lot of people (especially HA sufferers) get it wrong. They read it like this: 1% of all skin cancers are melanomas, I got sunburnt, my risk increases 80%, it means there is a 80% chance I will have melanoma. Naturally, what follows is the full blown panic mode.

However, the math is of course all wrong. Firstly, if your risk was 0.2% and you got sunburnt, your risk increases by 0.18%, (you calculate out of the percentage you already have, not out of 100%) meaning your lifetime risk is now 0.38%. It is a considerable increase, I concur, but still very low. Even if we factor in your ginger complexion (another risk increaser) it is still below 0.5%.

However, I agree with what other people say - it is a prudent thing to do a yearly skin check. Not just because of moles - the skin is one of the most important organs and therefore deserves extra care. My insurance covers it and so...why not - I do it every year - when I suffered from HA I was extremely anxious and stressed before every appointment (convinced the derm was gonna find at least 2 cancers ) but now it has become a habit, like yearly check with the dentist.

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    Just a small clarification concerning statistics and skin cancers.

Approximately 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer during lifetime. Therefore, your lifetime risk of having skin cancer is 20%.

Approximately 1% of all skin cancers are melanomas. That means your lifetime risk of developing melanoma is 0.2%.

I am now doing the forbidden thing and browsing a melanoma awareness site. There it says: if you had 5 or more severe sunburns during your life, your risk of developing melanoma increases by 80%. That is where a lot of people (especially HA sufferers) get it wrong. They read it like this: 1% of all skin cancers are melanomas, I got sunburnt, my risk increases 80%, it means there is a 80% chance I will have melanoma. Naturally, what follows is the full blown panic mode.

However, the math is of course all wrong. Firstly, if your risk was 0.2% and you got sunburnt, your risk increases by 0.18%, (you calculate out of the percentage you already have, not out of 100%) meaning your lifetime risk is now 0.38%. It is a considerable increase, I concur, but still very low. Even if we factor in your ginger complexion (another risk increaser) it is still below 0.5%.

However, I agree with what other people say - it is a prudent thing to do a yearly skin check. Not just because of moles - the skin is one of the most important organs and therefore deserves extra care. My insurance covers it and so...why not - I do it every year - when I suffered from HA I was extremely anxious and stressed before every appointment (convinced the derm was gonna find at least 2 cancers ) but now it has become a habit, like yearly check with the dentist.
    Andrash I have to say I LOVE this post. I was actually just speaking about this subject with my partner last night. It drives me insane how the media portrays risk making it seem like as you say, 80% is added where In fact it’s a percentage of the original risk, meaning it’s still diddly squat. Scaremongering at its finest!

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information