Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had an EMG

Having ALS fears.

Irrational, I know. I'm a 28 year old Male. Tuesday I started having twitches in both of my calves. They are pretty much constant all day long. They happen in other parts of both legs and feet, but predominantly in the calves. I dont have any problems doing anything. I've went and lifted weights this week with no problems, however I feel them when I'm standing too. Not just at rest. Got bloodwork Thursday, and everything was perfect. Doctor also did the "knee jerk" reflex test, and both knees were normal. I assume that's a good sign right? On Friday, I started getting a pain in them that felt like they are about to cramp, but they never do. No obvious signs of weakness, which I know is the big deal. Ive been taking magnesium to see, but it hasn't helped yet. On vacation right now and having a hard time enjoying it to the fullest. Just looking for some reassurance.

Re: Having ALS fears.

Please read this. It can give more reassurance than I ever could.

Pregabalin 300mg

I've read that a few times. It makes me feel better as far as the twitching, (although my constant twitching isnt widespread, its predominately in the calves) but not the cramp type pain. Does a cramping pain point away from ALS as well? It says aches, numbness, and things like that, but not cramping. I guess that's what's keeping me worried.
    Last edited by JJA0305; 26-06-18 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by JJA0305 View Post
    I've read that a few times. It makes me feel better as far as the twitching, (although my constant twitching isnt widespread, its predominately in the calves) but not the cramp type pain. Does a cramping pain point away from ALS as well? It says aches, numbness, and things like that, but not cramping. I guess that's what's keeping me worried.
    ALS is about failing, not feeling. It's when the muscles actually stop working because the brain's signals don't reach them. Would a muscle cramp if it's wires to the brain were disconnected?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. So the fact that my twitching is localized to my calves isnt cause for concern either?

Read THIS as often as you need to! It's proof you don't have ALS. And please do not post on ALS forums for reassurance.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thanks a lot! I've read about BFS. I dont know how familiar you are with it, but are cramping pains a symptom of that as well as the twitching?

Thanks a lot! I've read about BFS. I dont know how familiar you are with it, but are cramping pains a symptom of that as well as the twitching?
    Don't know much about BFS but I do know there's a forum dedicated to it as many here have spoken of it.

Positive thoughts

BFS can manifest in different ways - twitching, fluttering, tremors, in one muscle, in one limb, face, eyelids, tongue...or widespread. All that is BFS. No weakness and/or no atrophy means no ALS (you need to have both atrophy and weakness to have ALS), MS, MG or any other neuro-muscular disease.
    Last edited by Andrash; 26-06-18 at 22:00.

Margaret Thatcher

Thank you both for easing my mind. Got a message from my doctor saying that it's not ALS (because I asked, I'm sure he thought that was a crazy question). So I'll trust him. He knows more about it than me. Going to try and enjoy the rest of vacation and not worry about it. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information