Thread: Different IBS symptoms

Different IBS symptoms

I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago, but in the past year or so, have had some serious flare-ups that started with the death of my Dad in June of 2017. Because I am now in my late 50s, I saw my GP and my naturopath because of recurring diarrhea and discomfort last summer and fall. Had ultrasounds and a CT scan, all came back clear. GP wanted to send me for a colonoscopy, but when the surgeon told me of the risk factors -- possible infection, perforation of bowl -- not to mention the horrible prep, I backed out and never had it done.

On the advice of my naturopath, I went gluten-free, and that seemed to really help. I was fine for months. But in the past couple weeks or so, I've been having regular bouts of diarrhea again every few days, even though I am consuming no gluten. I can go one day without having a bowel movement at all, next day pass some hard lumpy stools -- and then within hours it's urgent diarrhea. Then the cycle starts all over again. No stools, then hard stools, then diarrhea. It's like once my bowels actually start moving they don't know how to stop when they're supposed to.

I was a bit stressed out about a laser procedure I had done on my eye about ten days ago, plus my diet was including more vegetables from my garden. I soon found I cannot eat raw tomatoes anymore -- they go right through me. Same thing has happened with grapefruit and raw carrots -- all things I used to be able to eat without any problems. So I have cut those things out, but had diarrhea again this afternoon after a hard-to-normal bowel movement this morning.

Is this normal for IBS? It's really getting me down.

Re: Different IBS symptoms

following.....
    sorry, i am having weird stuff and this sounds familiar.
    is your diarrhea with or without cramping?

Re: Different IBS symptoms

I get some mild cramping, especially if I wear anything too tight around my waist, but nothing major -- although the first time it flared up a couple weeks ago I had cramps so bad I was almost bent over. Going to the toilet relieved the pain, and those cramps haven't happened since. I've had those types of unbearable cramps for many years, but luckily, they happen only rarely. Right now, it's intermittent diarrhea interspersed with small hard stools. I always know when the diarrhea is coming as I hear some gurgling and spluttering in my colon, followed by sudden urgency. I wish it would just calm down and go away.

Thread Information