Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't stop worrying that I'm about to die of bowel cancer

Unhappy Can't stop worrying that I'm about to die of bowel cancer

I'm 13 and male, pretty healthy in general. For some reason, I've been really anxious the last 3 and a bit months. I did write a post yesterday but that had lots of symptoms and was moved to that category and is now pretty dead, so I'm going to keep this one short.

I'm worried all the time that I have bowel cancer, that I won't live long enough to see my relatives in China next year, and that I won't be able to live my life anymore. Why? Many things (but that was on the other thread), but the main thing is a constant feeling of pressure in my rectum, like I still have poop to poop even when I don't. This might just be constipation, as whenever I do poop (every other day, usually), it's either dry or slightly dry, and it's many days' worth of poop (I also eat quite a lot, but I'm still of a good weight), but I've seen way too many articles saying it's a symptom of late colorectal/bowel cancer. Tack on some pain and some feelings of weakness, and I'm convinced I've got cancer.

I know that the chance of me having it is practically impossible, and that blood in stool is the hallmark symptom, but I just can't shake it off. During the day, there are many times where I feel like I'm going to just die, and think about all my relatives, stuff, lost opportunities, all that, and almost cry.

EDIT: my parents are aware of this.
    Last edited by LunarCoffee; 09-08-18 at 22:09. Reason: Added some more information

Re: Can't stop worrying that I'm about to die of bowel cancer

Sorry I don’t know much about bowel cancer so I can’t really say anything about that but I do also have really bad HA
    The anxiety is so bad so I could relate, the best thing is to make an appointment with a doctor to know for sure if you have it or not.
    If you do have it then you do there’s nothing really you can do but if you don’t then he or she can put your worries to rest.
    Even though this sounds easy, I know how hard it is to calm yourself down (even know I’m still worring, my doctor appointment is in like 10 days, the wait is killing me) but do try!
    let’s get through this together.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitystars View Post
    Sorry I don’t know much about bowel cancer so I can’t really say anything about that but I do also have really bad HA
    The anxiety is so bad so I could relate, the best thing is to make an appointment with a doctor to know for sure if you have it or not.
    If you do have it then you do there’s nothing really you can do but if you don’t then he or she can put your worries to rest.
    Even though this sounds easy, I know how hard it is to calm yourself down (even know I’m still worring, my doctor appointment is in like 10 days, the wait is killing me) but do try!
    let’s get through this together.
    Thanks a lot. I've been to the doctor a few times (everything was OK, of course). The wait for a doctor's appointment may be worse than the wait for a big party or event.

Update:
    Honestly, I might have IBS-C, because I've found that if I push hard on the days I usually don't poop on, I can get a solid long log out. It is pretty difficult to get out, but it seems pretty normal looking, besides being maybe a 3 on the Bristol stool chart. Of course, I've convinced myself now that this is actually rectal cancer. Of course. I'm pretty sure I drink enough water, but most of the time I glug down 200-300 mL in a few seconds every so often, totalling 2+ liters a day usually. I've also started on fibre supplements, around 5-7 grams a day now. Not sure if it's helping or not, whether I should stop or add more or stay the same, but the anxiety still exists.

I can think of quite a few better things a 13 year old boy could be doing and thinking about that don't involve posting about your poop on an internet forum

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I can think of quite a few better things a 13 year old boy could be doing and thinking about that don't involve posting about your poop on an internet forum
    I can too, but I'm honestly really scared for no rational reason. Guess this is what anxiety does to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarCoffee View Post
    I can too, but I'm honestly really scared for no rational reason. Guess this is what anxiety does to ya.
    Thing is, just like the cancer you fear, it's treatable. Perhaps showing your parents this thread would prompt them to get you help?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thing is, just like the cancer you fear, it's treatable. Perhaps showing your parents this thread would prompt them to get you help?
    Last time we went to our family doctor (probably equivalent to a GP), they suggested a CBT therapy, and my parents said that we'd look into it and try it if I wanted. I think I might try some self-led CBT first, but please give me your thoughts as well (if you want).

Quote Originally Posted by LunarCoffee View Post
    Last time we went to our family doctor (probably equivalent to a GP), they suggested a CBT therapy, and my parents said that we'd look into it and try it if I wanted. I think I might try some self-led CBT first, but please give me your thoughts as well (if you want).
    There's a link HERE as well as in my signature but you have to be in the right place mentally and have the inner strength to hold yourself accountable. Thing is, that's difficult at best. Actually going to a therapist that will hold you accountable until they feel you can manage on you own would be prudent.

Positive thoughts

There's a link HERE as well as in my signature but you have to be in the right place mentally and have the inner strength to hold yourself accountable. Thing is, that's difficult at best. Actually going to a therapist that will hold you accountable until they feel you can manage on you own would be prudent.
    Thanks for the link, didn't realize it was sticky in the HA main forum page. Because my doctor said that I could try a session or two for free, I might do that some time soon. Thanks again!

Anyone know if the specifically constant feeling of incomplete evac is from IBS or not?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information