Thread: Heart anxiety or heart problem?

Thumbs down Heart anxiety or heart problem?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety for long but I thought I had a heart problem for about 2 years before I was diagnosed but nothing was found on the ECG and heart scan. But the symptoms with my heart I've been experiencing lately have been concerning me. I'm still on the waiting list for counseling so I can't ask an anxiety professional about this yet. When I have an episode it doesn't feel like anxiety caused the heart problems it feels like the other way around and it usually happens unexpectedly even if I feel calm at the time. I also don't always get a racing heart and weirdly enough this is what concerns me, sometimes I literally can just get skipped heartbeats along with anxiety, pressure on chest, feeling short of breath, feeling like my throat is closing up ect. I don't normally have visible panic attacks either, my ones are more internal. I can look okay on the outside but on the inside I would be freaking out and I'm not sure if that fits the usual description of a panic attack. I've also noticed how when I go to the gym it takes a while for my heartbeat to calm down afterwards which makes me hold back more than I'd like to. Because of these issues it's starting to make me worry that it's not actual anxiety and something wrong with my heart but then again the ECG and the heart scan about a year ago said I was fine so I'm not sure. Are these symptoms normal for people with anxiety or should I go back to cardiology? Thanks in advance. Btw I'm 20 years old, female.

Re: Heart anxiety or heart problem?

I think you are ok. I get panic attacks internally too. But I get high blood pressure from them. It's a nightmare. I think try and calm as the more stress the more health problems in general. I hate my bp spikes as I give them to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounding88 View Post
    I think you are ok. I get panic attacks internally too. But I get high blood pressure from them. It's a nightmare. I think try and calm as the more stress the more health problems in general. I hate my bp spikes as I give them to myself.
    Thanks for your reassurance. Yeah I think I make mine worse by worrying and really focusing on them but it's so hard not to. (So I probably also give them to myself or at least make them escalate) I'm hoping counseling can help me find techniques to stop skipped heartbeats from turning into panic. All the best.

Hi.

I am the same.
    I am going to the gp as my bp is spiking as soon a step I wake up then back to normal.
    I want to know if it's high through the night
    Hope it all works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Grounding88 View Post
    Hi.

I am the same.
    I am going to the gp as my bp is spiking as soon a step I wake up then back to normal.
    I want to know if it's high through the night
    Hope it all works out for you
    Thanks, I got my vitals checked out at the doctors. All normal. Hope it works out for you too.

Thread Information