Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
Seriously? for someone who has read up on bowels for so long, your grasp of the alimentary canal is startlingly bad Toby

Food can be in your stomach for about 5 hours (maybe more), then it passes through the small intestine, in another say 2 hours, 40 hours travelling through the colon....maybe more maybe less. Basically, food can take between 24 -72 hours (according to most sources) to be ready to come out the other end. If you are constipated though it could be backed up a bit anyway, and be even longer as it 'queues up'. So, fibre eaten today might start having an effect in 3 or so days ! BY the way, totally non-medical assessement made by me then about 3 or 4 days, just going by my own observations. Oh and one banana and a portion of peas isn't enough in one day anyway.....its a start.....but not enough....
I don't eat veg/fiber as often as I probably should so I was expecting everything to come bursting out really quickly

And I had the peas with a meal (pie) not on their own, my mum isn't that cruel to me although I do occasionally like eating frozen petit pois from the bag