Page 143 of 290 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2891

Thread: Have I got rectal cancer?

Re: Have I got rectal cancer?

Toby,

I posted this on another members long thread recently and it is relevant for you too. These are the types of tools you may see (hopefully) in therapy and are better ways to challenge beliefs than threads:

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Some useful resources:
    https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/~/m...ssumptions.pdf

Veale talks about Theory A/Theory B methods in this extract:

http://www.veale.co.uk/wp-content/up...r-OCD-2007.pdf

And more about it here from the NHS:

https://cypf.berkshirehealthcare.nhs...naging-ocd.pdf

Blank sheets for Theory A / Theory B and populated examples can be seen on Google Images, if needed.

These types of tools are useful in creating a "how do I respond" style framework, a set of rules you can work towards following.
    Ignore the break ups in format, it's the new forum and flagged to Admin. I can't correct it, the forum won't allow me no matter how many times I remove all the excess tags.

Yep, there's a lot of truth in that.

The thing is, you have a health condition that needs dietary adjustment. Your choice is keep putting up with it, and at some point you will have to learn to keep it in your head or risks alienating people, or make some adjustments.

What you will find is that after a while you will be less interested in sugary stuff and find less sugary things enough to slake the need. I found that when I had to make changes. The body adjusts.

Gut flora is very important and has links into mental health. Studies show it changes it's make up to match your diet.
    I’m not sure if I could commit to anything major

I think a piece of fruit every day isn’t enough isn’t it? And whatever the healthy meal is that my mum makes for dinner

The stomach ache has gone now though so Im not overly concerned

Toby,

I posted this on another members long thread recently and it is relevant for you too. These are the types of tools you may see (hopefully) in therapy and are better ways to challenge beliefs than threads:

Ignore the break ups in format, it's the new forum and flagged to Admin. I can't correct it, the forum won't allow me no matter how many times I remove all the excess tags.
    Thank you for the links Terry

Ill take a look tomorrow

I’m now worried because I’m wondering if my mum might have bowel cancer

A few months ago she mentioned to me, to try and reassure me, that she saw a bit of blood in her stool recently.

And within the past week or two, I heard her say to her friend on the phone that she’s been having “the runs” recently so she wasn’t able to meet up with her (they’re very open with eachother) in case she had some bug

TMI WARNING

Well a couple of weeks I think later, tonight, I heard her go to the toilet and because my room is above the downstairs toilet, I heard what sounded like diarrhoea falling into the water. And she was on the toilet for like 10 minutes. I wasn’t listening in but I couldn’t not hear it since I didn’t have my TV on or anything

I really don’t WANT to worry about this but she is 51 and it wouldn’t be rare if she had bowel cancer, plus she’s a smoker as I’ve said previously

I don’t want her to die :( but this also links in to my worry, what if because she might have it, I have it too and that would explain my symptoms? Hereditary bowel cancer

She always gets mad at me whenever I try and express my concern though. A few years ago I thought she had lung cancer due to her being a smoker and having a smokers cough. But she was fine. This one just feels more real because I’m also worrying about myself having it and my anxiety is painting a picture of if she has it, then I could have it too since it can be hereditary

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I’m not sure if I could commit to anything major I think a piece of fruit every day isn’t enough isn’t it? And whatever the healthy meal is that my mum makes for dinnerThe stomach ache has gone now though so Im not overly concerned
    It's a start. Build up from there. As to your mum you are jumping to conclusions and catastrophizing, and you know this, it's just anxiety shifting around and making more associations. Let your mum deal with it, she's the objective one and more experienced in bowel changes as you have many during your life.

I’m now worried because I’m wondering if my mum might have bowel cancer

A few months ago she mentioned to me, to try and reassure me, that she saw a bit of blood in her stool recently.
    what if because she might have it, I have it too and that would explain my symptoms? Hereditary bowel cancer
    OR what if you both have a diet that isn't that great, you both have enlarged veins and haemmorhoids, and then the same symptoms...... Considering you DON'T have bowel cancer, then this is the likely explanation isn't it Toby. Your mum is an adult who can take care of herself, she will see a doctor if she needs to and will be all too aware of what to look for in terms of bodily changes.

Now....I came on here to say something relating to this type of thing. Your HA problem, as untreated at present, will be shifting around and looking for reasons to continue the cancer theory. I said to you quite a fewq pages ago to make that list didn't I, suggested that you write down ALL THE REASONS that this isn't bowel cancer. This includes everything you have been told and things we have said......this is to be able to replce the negative thoughts with positive immediately.
    Last edited by Carys; 19-05-19 at 09:46.

Self reassurance is important, you have to undo a lot of negative reinforcement you fed into your brain for nearly a year. Its time to turn it around now - everytime a doubt comes into your head, a 'but', a 'what if', you must religiously come back with a powerful statement and repeat it out loud. TO get that list of powerful statements you just need to look at the things people have said to you on this thread...eg....

I saw an expert in the relevant field.
    I had a thorough examination, he saw no cancer.
    This expert spends his life dealing with cancer, he would know it just from my symptoms - let alone looking internally.
    Various doctors leading up to this also agreed it was NOT sinister.
    My symptoms are the same as many others who have had hemmie problems, they have told me many times on this thread.
    I feel well, I've not lost weight.
    The last few days my stomach felt fine.
    I KNOW that the spot of blood happen after a dry hard stool.
    Etc etc.....you should be able to get about 30 things I would think.
    Here we go, found it 10 pages ago. If you had done this, and stuck the list up, you would now be able to provide 'replies' to your inner voice which is trying to convince you of bowel cancer.

I really don’t WANT to worry about this but she is 51 and it wouldn’t be rare if she had bowel cancer, plus she’s a smoker as I’ve said previously
    I thought she quit

From Jan. 2016
    My mum has quit smoking yesterday
    From Jan. 2018
    Some of you may remember me as the crazily neurotic guy from a couple of years ago who always used to worry about his mother's health, and I used to worry a lot about lung cancer because she was a smoker and I always felt like she had something wrong with her.
    I really think you should READ THIS and take it to heart. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 19-05-19 at 16:30.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's a start. Build up from there. As to your mum you are jumping to conclusions and catastrophizing, and you know this, it's just anxiety shifting around and making more associations. Let your mum deal with it, she's the objective one and more experienced in bowel changes as you have many during your life.
    I know but I just don't think she's as bothered as me about her "symptoms" which is bad because bowel cancer can be very sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    OR what if you both have a diet that isn't that great, you both have enlarged veins and haemmorhoids, and then the same symptoms...... Considering you DON'T have bowel cancer, then this is the likely explanation isn't it Toby. Your mum is an adult who can take care of herself, she will see a doctor if she needs to and will be all too aware of what to look for in terms of bodily changes.

Now....I came on here to say something relating to this type of thing. Your HA problem, as untreated at present, will be shifting around and looking for reasons to continue the cancer theory. I said to you quite a fewq pages ago to make that list didn't I, suggested that you write down ALL THE REASONS that this isn't bowel cancer. This includes everything you have been told and things we have said......this is to be able to replce the negative thoughts with positive immediately.
    My mum never eats junk food, she always eats healthy meals but she did say she sometimes has hemorrhoids and remembers having them after my youngest sister was born in 2005. She denies ever having blood recently now so maybe she was lying to reassure me or maybe she doesn't want me to worry

Yeah you're right, the thing is now I'm barely even worried about myself, I'm more worried about my mum again which is frustrating and potentially even worse because not only will I have to worry about her having bowel cancer and dying but then for the rest of my life I'll feel like it's my destiny to get bowel cancer at some point, hereditary bowel cancer..

Page 143 of 290 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast

Thread Information