Page 26 of 290 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I got rectal cancer?

Re: Have I got rectal cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    With respect, not all patterns are identical in all people FMP, and what works with one person, may not with another. I think we can all come to our own descisions about if\when to respond, and at what point to cease. I think Toby IS, I hope, starting to logically work out that his symptoms are not what he perceives them to be. Of course, he may revert back and swing the other way, but working through things logically and building your own skills in analysing what is a threat, and what is not a threat is a worthwhile thing to do. Nobody can make somebody go and get anxiety help, which there is no doubt Toby has, but whilst he is asking here then my view is that it is better to at least try to work through some skills in self-help.
    Thank you. I don't think I would achieve a lot in therapy right now because I feel like it's just ignoring my symptoms. I've also been a few times in the past and I feel like it's a huge waste of time, I already know rational thinking techniques and can work through things myself. If I wanted to I could try to unwind and it usually worksBut yes, I'm definitely starting to think I might have IBS, I just don't know if it's possible to have that without cramping. Apparently the biggest box to ticket in the criteria for that is cramping/stomach pains at least once a week.

I do think my worrying patterns are probably linked to my gut though.. like I say I always seem to be constipated when I worry a lot about colon cancer and especially when I'm just waiting for something to pass through.. it never really does. And after I eat a lot, and I do eat a lot of junk especially, I usually have diarrhea so that could explain that I suppose- except for when I'm constipated.

It's just, you know, scary seeing other teens on the rare occasion having IBS symptoms and then it turns out they have colon cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    But yes, I'm definitely starting to think I might have IBS, I just don't know if it's possible to have that without cramping. Apparently the biggest box to ticket in the criteria for that is cramping/stomach pains at least once a week.
    I have IBS and never get cramping or stomach pains so you can't judge it on that.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Toby, therapy techniques can help, but you have to be committed to them. You have to work very hard on, and use the suggestions they make. I don't wholly agree with saying they 'ignore your symptoms', but when they/we are outside the box you are in, we can easily see what is causing your symptoms.

So, (you are a bright lad) its kind of like saying as an analogy, I won't put out the fire but will instead get ride of the smoke by opening the windows. The HA is the root cause of the fear you have, it is the fire.You can work through this bowel cancer fear, then there will be another. Maybe over time you will learn to apply less catastrophic thought processes and learn to reassure yourself and all those other assorted skills which eventually rid yourself of the spiral - I managed it and others have- or maybe you won't and will need to accept that you need to go back for some more professional help.

I have told you everything I know about IBS from my perspective. Your GP thinks you have it based on your symptoms (and pouring through the minutiae of 'but I don't get cramps' doesn't make it less likely that you have IBS, it just means you are luckly enough not to get cramps and have a lesser form). Now it is down to you to reassure yourself. See, this is the thing, if you don't do therapy, because you don't want to, that doesn't mean you should do nothing. Why not have a look at the book list here and seek out something you can order to help HA? You have to do something Toby and it seems you are choosing self-help.
    Last edited by Carys; 04-11-18 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    No, you're asking the same specific questions ad nauseum.

Samina, I know you're stressed about your procedure but believe me, the worst part is the prep. They'll give you the good stuff in the hospital and you won't care or remember much anyway. Please read the OPs history on this thread and you'll see that there's nothing wrong and the similarities to your postings. He's a child with severe anxiety, a fissure and stomach related anxiety symptoms! (as I believe you have too). Recommending a test like a colonoscopy is not prudent and you're only projecting your fears about what's happening with you

Toby... PLEASE see your doctor about your anxiety. You desperately need real life help! I urge others to reiterate this information instead of reassurance. Especially those "hoo" recognize the patterns and know his history

Positive thoughts
    Hi Fishman, you’re quite right and I’m sorry, I was projecting...

Totally stand by my advice for therapy though Toby, you have to stick with it and it won’t work overnight but it WILL help you

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Also I forgot to mention thanks Fishman for your comments re: the colonoscopy. Just keep telling myself that this time next week it’ll all be over and hopefully I’ll be given good results... fingers crossed xx

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Toby, therapy techniques can help, but you have to be committed to them. You have to work very hard on, and use the suggestions they make. I don't wholly agree with saying they 'ignore your symptoms', but when they/we are outside the box you are in, we can easily see what is causing your symptoms.

So, (you are a bright lad) its kind of like saying as an analogy, I won't put out the fire but will instead get ride of the smoke by opening the windows. The HA is the root cause of the fear you have, it is the fire.You can work through this bowel cancer fear, then there will be another. Maybe over time you will learn to apply less catastrophic thought processes and learn to reassure yourself and all those other assorted skills which eventually rid yourself of the spiral - I managed it and others have- or maybe you won't and will need to accept that you need to go back for some more professional help.

I have told you everything I know about IBS from my perspective. Your GP thinks you have it based on your symptoms (and pouring through the minutiae of 'but I don't get cramps' doesn't make it less likely that you have IBS, it just means you are luckly enough not to get cramps and have a lesser form). Now it is down to you to reassure yourself. See, this is the thing, if you don't do therapy, because you don't want to, that doesn't mean you should do nothing. Why not have a look at the book list here and seek out something you can order to help HA? You have to do something Toby and it seems you are choosing self-help.
    The last time I worried about my own health was actually March 2015, as you can probably see from my post history. After that it moved on to me worrying about my mum's health until that faded and turned into something else. But in that time I did learn to be more rational and I could shove any worrying thoughts to the back of my mind or dismiss them.. what triggered it over 3 years later was seeing blood on the toilet paper

And thank you for helping me realise that it's likely IBS. I don't know if my GP is just saying that to get rid of me though. But it sounds a lot like IBS the more I think about it

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have IBS and never get cramping or stomach pains so you can't judge it on that.
    Wait really?

Has that been diagnosed?

Toby is now legally an adult. His medical history is now legally his own and therefore his GP will no longer have to consider the merits of a child making decisions and whether to bring in an adult anymore.

I do believe he also said he would seek anxiety help. I think you have to be very careful in seeing a GP over HA symptoms as the desire to only concentrate on them can easily distract a GP who rules stuff out and never tries to treat the anxiety.

As Carys says the GP will make a decision about testing. After having piles for a while they sent me for a sigmoidoscopy just to rule anything else out. I was early twenties.

You say the GP mentioned an irritable bowel? That's IBS.

Can anxiety symptoms affect you when you are not in high panics? Of course they can, that alone is one of the criteria for GAD; persistent anxiety. I'm much better than I was a few years back but my anxiety is still daily, just to a lower level. And I didn't have panic attacks but spent 24/7 feeling in the edge of blowing up from intense anxiety.

You know my thoughts on accessing therapy, Toby. I would continue to urge you to follow my strategies in getting the ball rolling.

I understand your need to discuss this but the cycle is going around in circles as much of this has been said earlier. Look towards the things we've discussed about negative thinking processes. Compare your current mistakes to the ones you've reasoned yourself out of before. Remember it comes in cycles and outside of higher intensities you do start to confront your thinking but as anxiety increases you fall back into the pattern. Work on accepting the stages to reduce your overreaction to them. Work on daily relaxation, healthy daily activities, get out for some exercise.

Recovery is more about multiple strategies than one form of therapy and a lot of this we have to find for ourselves as therapists don't even cover it.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 04-11-18 at 16:09.

Wait really?

Has that been diagnosed?
    TOby ! I would give you a right talking to if I was with you now. LOL I also said the same ages ago, I was diagnosed decades ago, properly, and I didn't have cramps. I only get them now if I get bad trapped gas, but that isn't often.

You have been so busy looking for cancer stories and reasons why you have cancer, that you have been dismissing the obvious. Start at the obvious and the MOST likely, thats the logical thing to do. Thats one of the skills you can teach yourself - don't let your fear jump to the least likely, start at the most likely.

Recovery is more about multiple strategies than one form of therapy and a lot of this we have to find for ourselves as therapists don't even cover it.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this ! Many people go into therapy expecting that some words that somebody else says will 'cure' them. Not all therapists are the same, not all are equal, many have different approaches and not everyone will be able to work effectively with every therapist. Having better thought processes is also about what YOU do yourself. You can take ownership of this, and you can multi-tackle it with some self-help books, or an online programme or /and/or/or. You, like me years ago, have HA as your response to anxiety/stresses in life. Some people when stressed get high blood pressure, some a bad stomach and some react with HA. Thats just how it is. At periods of extreme stress I have blips of HA, but I recognise them now.

You re welcome to PM me if you ever want to, and take things off the public forum.
    Last edited by Carys; 04-11-18 at 16:24.

Yes really!

I get a lot of bleeding at times as well - piles.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Stop reading the stories as has been said. You're only adding more bias. Think about it, have you read the many more "thought I had an issue but they found it was nothing" stories? And how many of them even exist when human nature is always to publicise the bad stuff?

And if you are reading endless forum threads you need to realise this is part of the cycle too. It's reassurance. It's scaring yourself with other stories to then find they were fine so you feel reassured. It's feeling you aren't the only one too. Reading a bit is ok but continuing to question, analyse, search for an exact replica of yourself, etc is where something healthy becomes unhealthy. It traps you further in the cycle.

Get out, get doing some stuff even some boring housework. Less time exposed to stories & the obsessive thinking means the body can try to calm down. It's like why they tell us to plan in daily relaxation exercises. They may seem of little benefit but the body is realising how it can relax and how that is ok.

It's the wolf you feed

Some anxiety books are very useful as Carys recommended. You don't need a load, just the odd one or two can be enough. They give you guidance and then it's over to you. It's better than trying to find your own way in this complicated stuff.

This ^

Toby, you are reading endless forum threads, things that match your fears like 'blood in stool'. Stick to your own thread hey, that'll help more.

Page 26 of 290 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread Information