Page 52 of 290 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I got rectal cancer?

Re: Have I got rectal cancer?

No, they will call you. Even if they call you please remember that GP's sometimes need to discuss things they find even if they are not serious and receptionists can't give details for obvious reasons. That tends to worry anyone.

I know it takes 48hrs according to the nurses at our blood testing clinic. That's just the testing though, the surgery will then be adding time to look at it.

If it comes back all clear then it's just back to your GP really. They will decide if something more is needed or it might just be no further action or monitoring.

If there is nothing in a test and you aren't due to have a follow up, they may not even contact you.

Coincidentally, they just rang.

They said they couldn't explain it properly but I have raised levels of something in my blood... I don't know how to spell it but they said it was "alphine flostrate" or something

I JUST SEARCHED and it's "alkaline phosphatase" I think she said

HOLY S***: Normal levels of ALP range from (44 to 147) U/L (units per liter) and significantly elevated levels may be an indication of conditions such as various types of cancer, bone disease such as Paget disease, liver disease such as hepatitis, blood disorders, or other conditions.

I'm crying so hard right now.. what do I do? I have a telephone appointment booked for Thursday

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

"Higher-than-normal levels of ALP in your blood may indicate a problem with your liver or gallbladder. This could include hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver cancer, gallstones, or a blockage in your bile ducts."

precisely why receptionists should not give out results

did they tell you what your level is or are you jumping to conclusions

Trust us Toby, if they suspected cancer you would not be getting a telephone appointment on Thursday.

As hard as the challenge is it's best not to try to guess this. You could get things wrong and go the wrong way.

And there is differences in raised levels. Some may be massively raised, some just out of range or near a threshold. Sometimes they monitor things to see if they go down again.

Try to calm down. Have you seen the threads on here just like this when things are found?

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post

Trust us Toby, if they suspected cancer you would not be getting a telephone appointment on Thursday.
    Absolutely. Just getting the call worries any person. Adding details in without further saying "but it's nothing to worry about" just sets the mind racing.

I agree, I expect they would do that face to face. They would fit him in somehow. Usually a GP would be concerned about the patient's mental state and want to be there.

Hi,

Im pretty much typing shorthand now because im on the phone to 111 and they put me on hold while they ask someone about what it means

thanks but im so panicked

terry could you link me to the thread where someone else experienced this if thats ok, thanks so much

Breathe, Toby. As others have said, they wouldn't be offering a telephone appointment for anything really serious, they'd want to see you in person.

A doctor is going to ring me back from the NHS.

I am so.. lost right now. I knew this would happen.

EDIT: She rang back and didn't help much. She said it could've been an error which is why they asked me to retake it in 4 weeks when they initially called me but I doubt it since I have symptoms of colon cancer.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post

They just said "raised levels" and they couldn't give detailed results out cause they're only receptionists.

I'm going tomorrow or getting them to phone me tomorrow.

I feel absolutely dreadful. Just when I thought everything was okay

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Also obviously my diet isn't healthy at all really, could that cause raised alkaline phosphatase levels?

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

"I think one of the reasons it's not mentioned much is because when it comes to colon cancer it's not indicative of much on it's own. Other numbers will get out of whack along with your Alk Phos. For example, your Alk Phos can go bonkers if you have a bile duct obstruction (which can be caused by a met in the liver pushing on the duct), but typically your bilirubin will go crazy along with the Alk Phos (and you'd probably see some jaundice in the whites of your eyes).

Lots of blood values can be erratic during treatment. That's why docs often want to look at trends in blood work, not just one draws worth. Numbers will bounce around and then settle. It's the typical, "hurry up and wait" that comes with cancer."

This is reassuring

When I search "ALP levels high colon cancer" there are so many results which is SCARY.

Re: Blood in stool!

Junk food and sugar can definitely cause liver issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I really can't think what this could be, it's most of the time due to liver and bone problems but that could mean metastatic colon cancer that's spread to my liver or bones.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LunarCoffee View Post
    Junk food and sugar can definitely cause liver issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Can a poor diet result in high ALP? I think if it can, that would be my saving grace here, if not.. it could be much worse

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I really can't think what this could be, it's most of the time due to liver and bone problems but that could mean metastatic colon cancer that's spread to my liver or bones.
    ...except you'd have jaundice or you'd be really really weak all the time or something.

EDIT: don't Google jaundice please

Page 52 of 290 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread Information