Page 58 of 290 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I got rectal cancer?

Re: Have I got rectal cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pkstracy View Post
    *puts on my stern mother voice to toby and lunar* listen closely young men when you start going down this spiral I want you to ask yourselves these questions
    1. Does it run in our family such as does mom, dad, brother, sister have rectal, bowel, colon cancer?

2. Do I smoke?
    3. Do I eat a lot of red meat, at least four times a week?
    4. Am I overweight or obese, do I have a big waistline smaller hips?
    5. Do I get enough exercise?
    6. Do I drink alcohol?
    7. Am I fifty years of age or older?
    8. Am I African American or Jewish?
    9. Have I had an exam for these cancers?
    10. Did the doctor tell me I have polyps?
    11. Do I eat a lot of processed meat?
    12 Meat cooked at high temperatures, such as fried, broiled and grilled?
    13.Do I have Chron's or IBD?

If you answered no to a lot of them, and answered yes to the working out and being under fifty you do not have cancer, this series of questions came from the American Cancer Society. There is even an assessment risk tool, I took it, and I can say yes to the overweight and being close to fifty and I hardly exercise, do you know what my chances of getting these types of cancers are ? 0.03 percent in five yeas, 0.06 six percent in 10 years, Its very very and I do mean very rare for you both to be having it at your age, in the case of the young ones that do, they had a genetic disorder, one had chron's and a few had parents that had it, I did extensive research and contacted a friend of mine who is a doctor and without saying names I told them about you both, being your age and such there is no way. That you both can have cancer. What you both have sounded like IBS and a lot of anxiety. If you are that worried go get tested if a doctor has told you you are fine then you are fine, and yes anxiety and stress play
    hell with the body and bowels. Stop eating junk food, start eating more fruit and veggies, and drinking water. Get checked for being lactose intolerant as well, that can really mess your poo up.
    Great Post! You can't be anymore succinct and fact based as that! You can't respond to it with a "yeah but" or "what if" after that because statistically and factually you can't. Based on all the facts and admitted health anxiety issues, as well as being on this forum, it's the icing on cake. This fear, as with just about all the other fears posted here can be dismissed on statistics alone. It's like going out in the cold, shivering and insisting you're warm

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 29-12-18 at 01:08.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you Fish I had my little scare the other day but went over the check list and took fiber and upped my water intake and now so far no issues I hope the two men read my post about the checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Great Post! You can't be anymore succinct and fact based as that! You can't respond to it with a "yeah but" or "what if" after that because statistically and factually you can't. Based on all the facts and admitted health anxiety issues, as well as being on this forum, it's the icing on cake. This fear, as with just about all the other fears posted here can be dismissed on statistics alone. It's like going out in the cold, shivering and insisting you're warm

Positive thoughts
    I've realized what ifs and stuff were pointless and that there would be nothing to gain from them, and that only I could actually make anything better (or worse, I guess), which is why that 3? month hiatus I took happened. Then Toby's situation got worse and I came back, but I do agree that it's basically statistically impossible (but when has that stopped HA?) At this point we're just going in cycles and cycles. Time to not exist

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

There will always be the HA unless we try to over come our fear. I have taken to doing mindmapping where I'll write in the middle of a piece of paper say Heart attack then I'll draw a chat bubble and put chest pain, another chat bubble women don't get typical chest pain, chat bubble shortness of breath, chat bubble no chat bubble extreme fatigue can't bubble no then I'll do this for all the symptoms that females can/have during one or
    leading up to one and will put no if I don't have those, I'll make another huge chat bubble and put risk factors and check the ones I have then I'll put how to lower risk write down everything I know. And then put an i going to die from one maybe but chances are no, people survive them, can I do anything about it yes, eat right, lower sodium, blood pressure, sugar intake, drink plenty of water, don't smoke, and exercise as well as loose weight. I calm myself down by doing mind maps then I laugh at how silly I am in my irrational thinking no need to not exist it breaks my heart seeing you guys at your age having health anxiety and worrying about this stuff.

Thank you everyone, I haven’t been online for ages and I’m currently typing this on my phone because I’m having problems with my laptop which is why I can’t reply- well I could but the reply wouldn’t be that adequate

Once I’ve rebooted my laptop I’ll reply and read everything but it’s quite hard to do that on my phone

I stopped worrying about this for like a week but suddenly it’s hit me again like a tonne of bricks, one night I had a strange stomach ache and it felt like my stomach was inflamed or something but then when I woke up again it went back to normal and I’ve felt fine since, but now I guess I’ve just remembered the worry and I’m overthinking certain things now

But I will reply, probably later after I factory reset! As soon as it doesn’t take 1000 years to load up

Hope everyone had a great new year

If it takes 1000 years......you won't find us here to reply to. Neither will you be here to worry about your bowels.

I'm back.. I had to reboot my laptop and I haven't worried since last week!

Now I've got an uncomfortable feeling in my abdomen, lowkey constipation and thinner stools which has triggered my worry again

Also, it's been 4 weeks and I'm supposed to schedule another blood test I think but I'm terrified that my alkaline phosphatase levels haven't gone down

You have to do it though Toby, schedule the bloodtest. I know you are scared, but you will just sit there still being scared if you don't do it. It's one of those situations where it is 'devil and deep blue sea'.....and so you just ahve to go with the option that is most important for your future health.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    You've never had some symptoms so this must mean it is a deadly disease? Wait until you start reaching some of our ages.
    That's what I'm thinking, because honestly I've eaten like a pig my entire life and now I'm suddenly getting symptoms, it doesn't make much sense to me

The point is, your body is telling you something. Listen to it. Just because you could eat badly before doesn't mean you always will be able to. Besides eating better doesn't even need to be part of this since being more healthy is better for you anyway.
    I should try but I'm scared that nothing will change I guess, and then I won't be able to comfort myself saying that my diet is the problem

I really don't think continually seeing a GP about the same issue is the way to go either. It's just reassurance seeking. Your GP has already made their decisions and unless anything new crops up or it worsens, why would they need to know? They already are looking into it. It isn't going to change whilst the patient continues to aggravate it by eating foods that mess up the digestive system.
    I haven't worried about it as much recently tbh but when I do, I feel so dreadful because I know this is true and I'm gonna be stuck in worry. I suppose I'll have to go for my repeat blood test and go from there

Think this way, something now needs treating. Do you think aggravating a condition with triggering foods is the best way to help yourself?
    No.. you're right.

And you suffer from an anxiety disorder, expect bowel issues because they area part of these conditions. You may wish to seek the typical HAer cancer diagnosis but the simple fact is bowel issues are a likely symptom you can suffer because you have a disorder with them on it's list of symptoms. Then you keep pouring a poor diet into the mix which will only mess it up more.
    I see the link... I think sometimes I get thinner motions because of anxiety. But also sometimes when I'm not worrying I will have symptoms too. However I did notice the other day that I went to toilet and didn't have the urge to go again which seems to happen mostly when I worry. But maybe not just then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replyI really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    You have to do it though Toby, schedule the bloodtest. I know you are scared, but you will just sit there still being scared if you don't do it. It's one of those situations where it is 'devil and deep blue sea'.....and so you just ahve to go with the option that is most important for your future health.
    I feel like I will just cause myself more anxiety if I do

I will do it.. but the whole thing just depresses me so much

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    For the record, yes, fruit juice is incredibly sugary and will probably give you bowel issues. This is why people are advised to eat fruit rather than just drink the juice.

You need to stop eating rubbish, and you need to find some interests and activities to take you out of your own head.
    I definitely have to cut fruit juice out (concentrated) of my diet because that's probably why I feel off now since I had some last night. I don't know though because I had a lot before I went to toilet and then I went and finished the carton off, although there wasn't much in it, and continued to feel off. So maybe it isn't that.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    I only read the first few pages of this thread but to update have you seen your Dr and what did he/she say it was?

Fissures due to large bowel motions are very common in young people and can cause bleeding. I had this when I was young. Piles are also common in people of all ages and you say you have them. The Dr would have seen either or when he/she looked through a proctoscope.

Then there's proctitis, which is inflammation of the anal canal, which can cause bleeding (but not always) and is painful when you pass a motion. Proctitis is usually caused by infection but it can be present in people who have autoimmune conditions. This is often identified with a proctoscope as well.

---------- Post added at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

Ah, I've just caught up with your Drs visit appointment and I see you have an anal fissure. They are very painful and yes they can reopen again weeks, sometimes months after if they don't heal. As I said before, I had them in my early 20's when I fist started teaching. I would feel the urge to go to the toilet but put it off. Impacted motions caused the fissure. I had motion softeners that helped in the short term but I ended up having a small operation in my late 20's which cured the condition.

Even though I have HA, I never thought I had cancer. My rational, logical mind figured out why it was happening and my Dr told me the rest.

All your other symptoms are stress related, you don't have any cancers.
    Thanks for the reply WiseMonkey

It's triggering for me to look back now but I just remember on the night of my first bleed I THINK I passed a firmer stool, although I can't remember now, and there was just blood on the paper when I wiped- no stool or anything.

And yeah they said it was a fissure but I'm not too sure if they were just saying that

Thanks again for your reply. Hopefully it was just a fissure

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pkstracy View Post
    *puts on my stern mother voice to toby and lunar* listen closely young men when you start going down this spiral I want you to ask yourselves these questions
    1. Does it run in our family such as does mom, dad, brother, sister have rectal, bowel, colon cancer?

2. Do I smoke?
    3. Do I eat a lot of red meat, at least four times a week?
    4. Am I overweight or obese, do I have a big waistline smaller hips?
    5. Do I get enough exercise?
    6. Do I drink alcohol?
    7. Am I fifty years of age or older?
    8. Am I African American or Jewish?
    9. Have I had an exam for these cancers?
    10. Did the doctor tell me I have polyps?
    11. Do I eat a lot of processed meat?
    12 Meat cooked at high temperatures, such as fried, broiled and grilled?
    13.Do I have Chron's or IBD?
    14. Do I smoke?
    If you answered no to a lot of them, and answered yes to the working out and being under fifty you do not have cancer, this series of questions came from the American Cancer Society. There is even an assessment risk tool, I took it, and I can say yes to the overweight and being close to fifty and I hardly exercise, do you know what my chances of getting these types of cancers are ? 0.03 percent in five yeas, 0.06 six percent in 10 years, Its very very and I do mean very rare for you both to be having it at your age, in the case of the young ones that do, they had a genetic disorder, one had chron's and a few had parents that had it, I did extensive research and contacted a friend of mine who is a doctor and without saying names I told them about you both, being your age and such there is no way. That you both can have cancer. What you both have sounded like IBS and a lot of anxiety. If you are that worried go get tested if a doctor has told you you are fine then you are fine, and yes anxiety and stress play
    hell with the body and bowels. Stop eating junk food, start eating more fruit and veggies, and drinking water. Get checked for being lactose intolerant as well, that can really mess your poo up. Ways you can prevent these cancers, eat one serving of red meat a day, eat chicken, fish and turkey, don't smoke if you do stop, get plenty of exercise, maintain your weight, eat plenty of fiber, don't drink more than one beer or other drink a day. Lower your sugary snacks eat plenty of fruit and veggies.
    Thank you so much Pkstracy, this is very reassuring

I tick NO to most of those boxes besides the processed meat and excersise one

None of my family have had colon cancer, I asked my dad and grandma and apparently it's all clear in terms of family history.

I just wish I had an explanation other than just diet and fissures or whatever from my doctor because I have a feeling deep inside me that it's not that.

The thing about the young CC patients having chron's and the other having a family history.. thankfully I don't tick those boxes. As far as I know, I don't think I have chron's.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

I just feel like I have a huge hurdle to overcome with this and the end isn't going to come soon.. I feel like I'll find out when one day I don't stop bleeding from my back passage, or I'll have a sudden excruciating pain.

you`re 17, there`s no family history of the condition, and 58 pages of advice later you`re still feeling deep down that somethings wrong

this is anxiety biting your arse, it`s an awful thing and we`ve all got it on here to some degree so I`d aim your efforts at sorting that out rather than thinking you`ve got some bowel disorder. I wasted years on medical fears and hand on heart wish I could turn the clock back but you can`t. while you`re young get yourself sorted and enjoy your life

take care

Page 58 of 290 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread Information