Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

Re: 5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

update,

Ive only cried 2 days this past week , It hasnt helped my anxiety yet but I thinks its helping the dark thoughts. Apparently it can take 4 weeks to build up in the system.

Also been doing the gym and started taking the relora again, last time I took it for a few weeks it did help my anxiety , so will be interesting to see how it works out.

Sound like its definitely doing something!
    Why did you stop taking the Relora?

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

i went on anti biotics and worried it may not mix well , daft but thats me ,lol.

Will it be okay to take both 5HTP and Relora together? If it is sounds like a great combo!!! I might give them a go

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi am taking the relora again !!!

I am taking them both together , feel ok ,lol.

I must say the relora def seems to calm me down, I am starting to really believe in it , the 5 htp is making me sleep good but hasnt helped my anxiety as yet but it can take about 5 weeks Im told.
    But the 5 htp seems to help the depression which is great .
    I think they make a great combo !!!

let me know how you get on.

Glad you are doing ok.

Relora should be fine in combination. Just avoid things like passion flower or harmala with it.

What dose are you taking of the 5-HTP btw?

Jim

only 50 mg , not sure but think I need a higher dose for the anxiety ?

Possibly, I would try increasing and if anything unpleasant happens you can always reduce again.

The directions for my 50mgs ones are to take 1-2 tablets 3 times a day.

I'll go off on one of my 'Jim' theory neurochemistry rambles now.

I think the principal that it can help anxiety / panic is the same as anti-depressants being prescribed for anxiety as well as depression. The theory is that they increase seretonin levels in the brain.

Low seretonin levels are linked to depression / anxiety. The scientists don't actually know for sure why AD's work, except for statistics from drug trials. So I guess the same theory applies to AD type supplements like 5HTP, SJW and Passion Flower.

5HTP simulates seretonin like an 'a-typical' AD's like Amiltriptyline, and SJW blocks re-uptake of seretonin like 'typical' AD's like SSRI's, Prozac, Paxil, etc. Also Passion Flower works like the third type of AD's MAOI's blocking the natural break down of seretonin. That's how I understand it.

My guess is that the main effect of them will be fairly fast acting if it is similar to a-typical AD's (1 Week) with it continuing to build up in your system over a few weeks. As compared to SSRI's which will take minimum of a few weeks to fully inhibit re-uptake.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it. I'm thinking it would be a good supplement for people to take when they are coming off AD's as it would help keep the seretonin levels up rather than crashing like they do when you suddenly stop an AD 'cold turkey'.

I remember I was taking the max dose and it really upset my stomach which was the main drawback for me.

Jim

very interesting i will have to look into this since i dont take any anti depressants anxiety..i do take klonpin for anxiety but to have something natural and to be in my blood stream and to be working i will have a look next time i stop by a natural food store, thanks.........linda

Smile Re: 5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

Thank you so much for this thread Mirry.
    I started taking 5 htp 2 weeks ago and its definitely working for me. My mood has lifted and I now get up in the morning feeling fine, whereas before starting the 5 htp I used to feel full of dread at the day ahead. I read that continual stress and anxiety lowers serotonin and believe me there is always stress in this house! I tried sjw before which did nothing for me, but the 5 htp works.Im taking 50mg at 8am along with a b6 vitamin and 50mg at 3pm.Apparently b6 helps in the conversion to serotonin. Lastnight I also took another 50mg an hour before bed and had a good nights sleep. Ive had no side effects either which is great.
    Mine are from agestop on the internet.They were £9 something for 90 capsules and postage is free.I'll definitely be getting more.
    If I'd not read this thread then I would never have tried 5 htp, so thank you again and thank you to nmp for this wonderful site.
    julie x

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information