Thread: Please Help Impression Chocking!

Please Help Impression Chocking!

Thank you everyone. I have panic, depression, chronic pain ( I'm in a wheelchair or walker) and severe agoraphobia. Seven months ago I had a " mobile" dentist come to my home. She extracted 6 teeth...it was not pleasant of course....pain, antibiotics, etc...she left town a month later! I never got my partial dentures...thank God I did not pay for them..expensive extractions thru.

I finally found a dentist that agreed to come to the house, I have gone 7 months without 4 front teeth and 2 bottom, you can imagine how ghastly I look and feel, no teeth and cannot walk. This dentist is not a typical "mobile" dentist but hygienist says he has, on a few occasions, gone to patients home, and has done community service. Says he is very nice and gentle. I hope she is right.

I was told that he had a " hand- held" digital wand, thought impressions could be made, apparently I still the "clay wax" done?! After x-ray. The x-ray does nit scare me much, the impressions do! Terrified I will choke and not breathe and die if it runs down throat. Can that happen? My brother was teasing me about it, now I am terrified, ready to cancel appt. People have told me its not pleasant. I thought a xray was going to be used, what I was brought to believe

He may have to do a cleaning, and partial filling too. I am so scared I am going to choke, collapse, or panic. Are impressions that horrible? Can I choke and die? Has that ever happened before? Can I get infection from it? Or cleaning or filling? I don't think I can do this, my stomach is hurting, my hearts skipping beats, even my low dose klonopin is not helping. I hate not having teeth, but I dont want any thing worse. I am praying to God I am not making another mistake with dentist. Can anyone help me with my questions? And fears, Thank you so very much. Franchesca.

Re: Please Help Impression Chocking!

I've had many impressions some negative(but those were just because people didn't like my hair) I'm just messing around sorry

In all seriousness I've been through a lot of dental treatment from cleaning to impressions to filling all short of braces because I chickened out haha
    I never once choked, during my cleaning my excess saliva felt a little weird and my mouth felt really dry like air dry but no choking of gagging sensations

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

I had impressions when I was young because I needed braces. This was 30 years ago now so I don't know what may have changed? But in my case it was two trays and one was applied first, then the other. They weren't used at the same time as I doubt my mouth would have opened that wide (some may disagree ).

The tray was filled with a gel. When he positioned it it was like someone pushing a load of chewing gum onto my teeth. It grips. It feels strange in that it's tight. When it's removed it feels like it's pulling but it comes out quick enough. I wouldn't say it was unpleasant, just a bit strange. It was certainly nothing compared to having needles, extractions, all that probing between teeth that feels like they may pull some out when they are cleaning!

I would tell your dentist about your anxiety over this. I bet they've heard it all over their years as so many people, regardless of mental health issues, are afraid of the dentist. I've always found them more understanding than doctors as it must just be an accepted part of the job that they are trained to handle.

If he is unformed he may be ready for any need to take a break and he may ask if you are ok more. That's my experience when I had a shattered wisdom tooth removed not long after my relapse hit and I was a total mess. They were really helpful & understanding.

And you've had much worse done in having those teeth out. That's an ordeal for many people let alone with anxiety in play. So you are stronger than you realise, remember that!

Francesca... ask your dentist if you can hang your head forward while he has the impression tray in your mouth. This worked perfectly for my son when he had impressions for braces.

They can place the tray in your mouth and you'll be looking down toward the floor.. it greatly relieves that feeling of chocking or having it run in your throat.

Simple and works like a charm

Thank you Clyde and Terry very much. I'm a bit calmer, your replies helped a lot. I a going to TRY and go thru tomm, if I don't I won't have teeth. Your experiences made me feel better. Perhaps it will be alright. Last time was so traumatic I guess thats whats causing the intense fear. I have never read about anyone chocking and its probably rare a person gets an infection from a routine cleaning or a filling, right?? I can always ask for antibiotics but Hope I do not need them. I so wish I could get a handle on this FEAR, the older I get the worse it gets, I'm doing what I am told is the "correct treatment" low dose benzo, low cost therapist once a week, why s it not helping? That in itself scares me that the recommended treatment is not working! And the pain and not walking makes it so much worse. I'm unable too take SSRI's or ibuprofen because of stomach issues.....nothing too " fight" it with. Thank you for your help, I will let you know tommarow how it went, I pray I have the courage. Thanks again. Franchesca.

I'm sorry Nancy I just this minute read your reply, I was thinking " how did I miss Nancy's Post"?? Then I looked at the times and I realized when I was writing you at exact same time were writing! So I pushed "send" not realizing you had wrote.! Thank you for that good tip I will try it to be sure. I just hope he does not want to pull ALL my teeth...full dentures....I cannot go thru that hell again or can I afford it. I will let everyone know what happens. Thank you all so much.

Thread Information